PDA

View Full Version : Not what it appears

Jack Feldmann
09-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Inspection today I found one of those multi outlet adapters plugged in. I tested it and found reverse polarity. For some reason I decided to unplug it to get to the "real" outlet. It tested correct for ground. The owners had another one plugged into the other kitchen outlet and I tested it and had the same results.
I'm guessing cheap imported crap that had the wiring reversed.

Eric Barker
09-17-2010, 07:08 AM
That seems odd. By chance did you check it with a two lead wiggy?

Art Dotson
09-17-2010, 10:35 AM
:confused: OOOOOOOOOOOO! Not cool! Did you notice if the device was UL listed?

Randy Aldering
09-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Good catch, Jack! When I bring stuff like that up with local inspectors, I get told I am "over-inspecting"!

Glenn Duxbury
09-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi, ALL &

Yep - found something very similar this week --> a power bar permanently plugged-into a properly wired outlet (pre-checked) & my Tester read "ungrounded" at the far end, so could only be that device [either loose connection @ the ground, inside, or improperly manufactured]...

CHEERS !

Mitchell Toelle
09-20-2010, 10:43 AM
OK...the device is defective, but are we talking about reversed polarity or ungrounded (poor connection)? Both conditions were mentioned. Which was it...talking about the OP.

John Kogel
09-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I find reverse hot and neutral on the kitchen range outlet sometimes, it's not rare. Hecho en ?Mexico?

Those adapters are property of the sellers I think. The only time I test them is if I can't reach the receptacle on the wall. Now you've got me wondering how many reversed outlets have been corrected by faulty adapters? :confused::confused: