PDA

View Full Version : Screen porch ceiling - soffit material - wind resistance

Matthew Barnicle
09-17-2010, 11:16 AM
House built in Kissimmee, Fl in 2005 - back screen porch ceiling material was basically aluminum soffit material. No manufacturer labeling was visible. I am wondering if this material and installation would meet wind resistance standards. Photos are from beneath and as viewed from attic area (porch ceiling opens up to attic and truss area of the building envelope - so attic photos are taken from above living area).

Jerry Peck
09-17-2010, 06:04 PM
I am wondering if this material and installation would meet wind resistance standards.

Maybe ... maybe not.

Depends on the material (thickness) and the installation (number, size, style, location, etc.) of the anchors (fasteners) securing it in place.

You would need to know the brand and type and then look up the Florida Product Approval information on it.

My intuition (i.e., "gut feeling") is that it would not meet the wind load requirements, but the real answer is "maybe, it depends" ...

Phil Brody
09-24-2010, 04:14 AM
Why is that is not nearly analogous to an open garage door in the event of a storm ?

Jerry Peck
09-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Why is that is not nearly analogous to an open garage door in the event of a storm ?

Who said it wasn't? :)

That soffit material is one sure way to pressurize the underside of the roof sheathing ... which is exactly the opposite of what is needed and required.

Phil Brody
09-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Being that it is located in Kismee, how could this ever fly, or more aptly how could it not.