PDA

View Full Version : Height requirement for exterior box

David Macy
07-16-2007, 10:15 AM
This GFCI controlled outlet was at ground level.

What if any requirements are for the height of the box?

John Arnold
07-16-2007, 10:25 AM
David - I don't know the answer to your question, but it immediately occurred to me to see where you are from, thinking about snow, for one thing, but you haven't filled out your profile.

David Macy
07-16-2007, 10:31 AM
David - I don't know the answer to your question, but it immediately occurred to me to see where you are from, thinking about snow, for one thing, but you haven't filled out your profile.

I am from snow country in Northeast Ohio.

I will have to update my profile.

Thanks

John Arnold
07-16-2007, 10:42 AM
2006 IRC E3801.7 Outdoor outlets. At least one receptacle outlet accessible at grade level and not more than 6 feet, 6 inches above grade, shall be installed outdoors at the front and back of each dwelling unit having direct access to grade.

David Macy
07-16-2007, 10:54 AM
2006 IRC E3801.7 Outdoor outlets. At least one receptacle outlet accessible at grade level and not more than 6 feet, 6 inches above grade, shall be installed outdoors at the front and back of each dwelling unit having direct access to grade.

So from the IRC it is acceptable to install at grade level. So what if it snows 6-12 inches?

John Arnold
07-16-2007, 10:57 AM
So from the IRC it is acceptable to install at grade level. So what if it snows 6-12 inches?
I don't know. Seems like a concern to me. I did notice in my CodeCheck Electrical it says "In most cases. the NEC does not have requirements for switch or receptacle height", then goes on to talk about the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Bob White
07-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Not sure what code says about it, but that receptacle looks like lawn mower candy to me....

David Macy
07-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Not sure what code says about it, but that receptacle looks like lawn mower candy to me....

Actually I would do a nice number on the box with my weadeater!

By the way How do you like my profile. This is the time of year I usually go to Canada and unfortunetly will not be going this year.

I hear the loons, labatts and fish calling me!!

Jerry Peck
07-16-2007, 03:56 PM
If it is buried at all, it must be a direct burial rated box ... which means gasketed cover and no openings (like receptacles) which could allow water in.

If it is 'just above grade' but in a depression area and you see a high water mark around it, I wrote them up as needing to be direct burial/underwater rated.

If it is 'just above grade' and no evidence of water ... there is no 'minimum height' requirement.