PDA

View Full Version : Guttering Requirement?

Rick Hurst
09-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Anyone know if guttering is required by FHA standards?

rick

Brandon Whitmore
09-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Rick,

I hope this helps. (I didn't read much of it):
Gutters missing on house - FHA violation?- FHA/HUD and VA - Appraisers Forum (http://appraisersforum.com/showthread.php?t=151290)

Ted Menelly
09-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Anyone know if guttering is required by FHA standards?

rick

Unfortunately gutters are not required anywhere that I know. I write gutters up on every home I inspect whether it be and FHA loan, conventional loan, VA loan etc there has never been a come back from anyone about gutters ever.

I tell every client that they need full gutters to prevent splash back to the home, wash out next to the home, proper foundation health etc etc etc etc. I also tell them that they are not getting gutters from most builders unless they pay extra for them with the exception of a couple of builders. I just did a VA loan Yesterday and an FHA the day before. Both written up and nothing back from VA or FHA.

Darren Miller
09-24-2010, 04:26 AM
Unfortunately gutters are not required anywhere that I know.

Here's at least one (possible) place-

NJR801.3 Roof Drainage- In areas where expansive or collapsible soils are known to exist, all dwellings shall have a controlled method of water disposal from roofs that will collect and discharge roof drainage to the ground surface at least 5 feet from the foundation walls or to an approved drainage system.

Scott Patterson
09-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Gutters are not required by HUD/FHA or the IRC. They are a nice feature but I know of no requirement for them. It could be that some local or state codes might require them, but nothing on a national level.

Linda Swearingen
09-24-2010, 01:54 PM
HUD at least used to require gutters; their 4910.1, "Minimum Property Standards for Housing" addresses gutters in sect. 607-3.1. It says gutters are required if either 1) the soil is such that excessive erosion or expansion will occur or 2) if the structure has overhangs less than 12" for a 1-story or 24" for a 2-story building. (There are some other details in there, too.) This is a 1994 document, and I'm not clear on whether they are still actively enforcing this.

Edward Loughran
09-25-2010, 04:53 AM
2006 IRC, R801.3 Roof Drainage

Scott Patterson
09-25-2010, 08:38 AM
2006 IRC, R801.3 Roof Drainage

Works only in areas with poor soil(clay)....
R801.3 Roof drainage. In areas where expansive or collapsible
soils are known to exist, all dwellings shall have a controlled
method of water disposal from roofs that will collect
and discharge roof drainage to the ground surface at least 5 feet
(1524 mm) from foundation walls or to an approved drainage
system.

Ted Menelly
09-25-2010, 09:06 AM
That does not hold up anywhere. I do not think in the three states I have inspected in and other states I have built in that anyone abides by those standards.

On the other hand I mentioned a home I inspected on Wednesday that should have full gutters (I recommend every home have full gutters) and I also wrote of some very slight movement noted in the left rear of the foundation. This was a VA loan. The VA mentioned nothing about the home having no gutters but because of the slight settlement I wrote up they wanted an engineers report.

Rick Hurst
09-25-2010, 09:58 AM
system.

The reason for my original question is the above comment has been on every Structural Engineer report I have just about seen in the last 6 months to a year here in my area where we have expansive soils.

My concern is that by not recommending guttering on our reports that I may be writing out a check for them someday.

rick

Ted Menelly
09-25-2010, 10:10 AM
system.

The reason for my original question is the above comment has been on every Structural Engineer report I have just about seen in the last 6 months to a year here in my area where we have expansive soils.

My concern is that by not recommending guttering on our reports that I may be writing out a check for them someday.

rick

I have been recommending full gutters forever. Every home should have them and all need them. No matter what the soil conditions are they help every home in many ways. I think it foolish for builders to not have them standard on every home built. What would it be on a 30 mortgage. A few bucks a month for a life time of very few concerns as apposed to not having them.

When I drive up to a home and I see no gutters I always know immediately that there are going to be at the minimum a few more pictures and writes ups at the very least.