PDA

View Full Version : I Joist modification/delamination

sidney alstad
09-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Came across a modification to a TJI Joist today in the first two pictures and delamination near the bearing point in the third picture. It looks like the modification was needed for a change in direction and the I Joist rests on a 6 x 16 LVL beam. I always heard that in no way can an I Joist flange be altered.

Any thoughts on how to write this up? What issue is the delamination.

Nick Ostrowski
09-24-2010, 03:44 PM
End bearing support on the angled section looks suspect Sidney. It also appears there may be some moisture issues at play there which may have something to do with then delamination you saw. The top half of the I-joist and subfloor in that 1st pic look dark and stained.

David Bell
09-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Looks like this house may have been left unfinished with maybe just the first deck completed for a period of time.

Raymond Wand
09-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Any thoughts on how to write this up? What issue is the delamination.

The trust joist appears to be delaminating as a result of water entry and the bearing of the bottom trust appears to be altered. Along with delamination, bearing, and leakage and given trust joists are an engineered product further investigation by a engineer familiar with this type of system should be consulted prior to close of title in order to ascertain the system is sound or in need of repair.

sidney alstad
09-24-2010, 06:38 PM
The trust joist appears to be delaminating as a result of water entry and the bearing of the bottom trust appears to be altered. Along with delamination, bearing, and leakage and given trust joists are an engineered product further investigation by a engineer familiar with this type of system should be consulted prior to close of title in order to ascertain the system is sound or in need of repair.

It may be a while before this closes as it is a pre listing inspection paid for by the property association.

Raymond Wand
09-24-2010, 06:45 PM
If thats the case, just delete;
prior to close of title