PDA

View Full Version : radon testing in appartment buildings

John Dirks Jr
09-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Does the EPA or any other entity have guidelines for professionals who are asked to conduct tests in apartment buildings?

I know that testing on the lowest level is the general rule but are there other guidelines as to how many tests per building and if they should be conducted on multiple levels?

James Duffin
09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
It is my understanding that each state has their own requirements. There is a certification by a private company in NC but no state licensing requirements.

Scott Patterson
09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Does the EPA or any other entity have guidelines for professionals who are asked to conduct tests in apartment buildings?

I know that testing on the lowest level is the general rule but are there other guidelines as to how many tests per building and if they should be conducted on multiple levels?

When I test apartments I use Alpha Track devices (91 days). Right now I have two apartment complexes that are being tested. Both are retirement type apartment buildings with two floors per building.

They are slab construction. The owners wanted to test every other unit on the first floor so that amounts to 15 Alpha Tracks per building on one and 10 on the other. One has 6 buildings and the other has 3. I do not know of any additional guidelines for Apartment buildings.

When I have done other apartments I can always count on 20% or so of the test devices disappearing. One reason you get paid prior to putting any test out!

I use RSSI for the Alpha Tracks.

Shawn Price
09-28-2010, 06:39 AM

Yes, there is a protocol for testing multifamily buildings published by the American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists (AARST). There are a couple things to note. You can purchase a printed version of the Interim protocol at the AARST website. The Interim protocol was based upon an EPA standard that had been written for HUD years ago who pretty much threw it in the back of the filing cabinet and locked it away from the public.

The Interim protocol has been modified and is soon to be released (within the next ~2-3 weeks) as an ANSI standard. The AARST Consortium on National Radon Standards has earned an accreditation by the American National Standards Institute, and this will be our first protocol that has made it through the rigorous process of becoming an ANSI standard. We currently have ~ 3 more standards in the works that may take some time to complete the process and several more on the wish list.

If anyone wants to participate or review standards as they make it out for public review/comments, check out AARST Consortium Standards (http://radonstandards.us). The Consortium is made up of volunteers from many groups who are impacted by radon testing and mitigation.

Shawn Price

John Dirks Jr
09-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I put in a bid for a multi unit job in DC.

Thanks everyone for your responses. They are helpful.

John Dirks Jr
09-29-2010, 05:03 PM
accidental double post