PDA

View Full Version : What's your best find of the Week? 10.08.2010

Rick Hurst
10-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Here's mine. Absolutely shocking!

rick

John Arnold
10-08-2010, 02:15 PM
C'mon now Rick, that isn't for real is it?!
I've got nothing to compare to that.

Scott Patterson
10-08-2010, 02:28 PM
5' high washing machine drain in a basement and it is connected directly to the main line!

Gunnar Alquist
10-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Geeze Rick,

That's a tough one to match. I have the following submissions

1) Knob & tube wiring stapled to the framing... No, not good enough.
2) Splices... No, too common.
3) Rusted-out draft hood... Nah, too slow of a kill.
4 & 5) How about "inspector overload"?

Michael Thomas
10-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Incredible.

Bruce King
10-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Both items on the same house..........

25 ft tall galvanized vent pipe broke off in crawlspace and dropped three feet and stuck into the ground.
It still had about 7 feet above the roof sticking up to clear some windows.

95 yr house, single brick foundation wall with no perimeter pier bowing outwards and took the band joist with it. Problem is, a large beam was just end nailed to the band and is about to come loose if it moves another inch.

John Kogel
10-08-2010, 07:52 PM
I found this 60 year old truck. The door handles were really worn out. :)

Then there was the 70 yr old crawlspace. 3 wasp nests, one beside the entrance hatch, some lovely rodent mess and some respectable piles of ant frass.

Vern Heiler
10-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Here's mine. Absolutely shocking!

rick
Is that one of the time saving tips from another thread? Shave while in the shower! (I won't even post mine:( )

Rick Hurst
10-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Here's a few more from the house with the receptacle on the tub wall.

Check out the gas valve that is located in the return air space. :eek:

rick

Matt Fellman
10-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Stiff competition here for sure.... here are a couple that are worthy of a look

Jim Luttrall
10-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Here's a few more from the house with the receptacle on the tub wall.

Check out the gas valve that is located in the return air space. :eek:

rick
What am I looking for on the fireplace, is that wood inside?

wayne soper
10-09-2010, 05:06 AM
You would have thought that guy has only one house. Well he has a vacation house also

Rick Hurst
10-09-2010, 07:04 AM
What am I looking for on the fireplace, is that wood inside?

Yes it is wood paneling. And my buyer couldn't understand why you couldn't build a fire in it. :o

rick

Frank Bombardiere
10-09-2010, 08:04 AM
I guess some people need more than coffee to wake them up in the mornings:)

Gunnar, that looks like a report from hell.

This is a great thread. I think IN should devote a category to this so we can have the finds of the week every week.

I can't match some of those this week, but here is mine.

Jack Feldmann
10-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Finding my business card from 2001 in an electrial panel at yesterday's inspection.
And the orange tape in the crawlspace on the stuff I called out then, but they didn't fix.

wayne soper
10-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Jack, when you drove up, did you remember the house:D

Jack Feldmann
10-12-2010, 05:08 PM
NO, not really. I have inspected lots of homes on this street over the years. This was nine years ago. But I could tell that a bunch of the stuff I found was probably on my original report (it was new construction in 2001).
I haven't looked it up.

James Duffin
10-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I really didn't "find" this because it was kinda obvious but this is the well water at the house I inspected yesterday. At the inspection the buyers were not concerned but today they sent me a email that indicated they realize they could have an expensive problem to fix. Reality check it seems after they read the report.

Paul Kondzich
10-13-2010, 05:34 PM
I have seen the Inspectors Business card in the panel before. Can someone give a good reason for doing that? It certainly isnt marketing??

Billy Stephens
10-13-2010, 05:42 PM
I have seen the Inspectors Business card in the panel before. Can someone give a good reason for doing that? It certainly isnt marketing??
Proof You Opened The Panel.
* look for a date written on the back. ;)

Paul Kondzich
10-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Proof You Opened The Panel.
* look for a date written on the back. ;)

OK if you say so...Or a pic inserted in the report that shows you opened the panel. Must just be me.

Frank Bombardiere
10-14-2010, 01:06 PM
It can also alert you that you have inspected the house before. When you've done thousands, you are bound to inspect quite a few more than once.

On the subject, here is my latest find.

Frank Bombardiere
10-14-2010, 02:48 PM
It has been an interesting week, here are some from todays duplex. I think I need to send them to the show Hoarders.

Jeffrey L. Mathis
10-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Oh where to start:

The obligatory marijuana stashes
The sleeping naked woman (agent opened it up)
The partial meth lab in the attic that the parents knew nothing about
The pit bull in the bathroom with the door closed that never made a sound
The $75,000 in the attic that the owner did not know about (no reward by the way)
The exotic birds given free run of the house

But what other job gives you an open door to how the rest of out world lives? And get paid to witness it!

JLMathis

Frank Bombardiere
10-15-2010, 02:47 PM
The exotic birds reminds me of a couple of encounters. At one the bird kept following me around saying "What ya doin, What ya doin" About drove me nuts. On another they had an African Grey that could mimick anything. i tested the microwave and after I turned it off I kept hearing this beep, beep, beep. I went back to the micro about 3 times before I figured out it was damn bird. It sounded exactly like the microwave. He could laugh just like his owner too. The owner said he could mimic any sound he heard. I wanted to buy one after that until I found out that they live for like 70 years and I will be long gone by the time it would be half that age.

Erby Crofutt
10-15-2010, 06:05 PM
The stuff buyers really pay us to find. Missing kick out diverter flashing has rotted out about four feet of the rim joist over the last 16 years.

I'm too lazy to upload the individual pictures but here's a PDF of the six pictures on one page.

Hank Spinnler
10-17-2010, 06:01 PM
I was curious to find out the source of the leak. The drywall in the ceiling to this poorly constructed shower stall was already damaged and it would have to come down. I went ahead and pulled through the opening with a claw hammer to find a nail that someone hammered into the unprotected pipe. I exercised good judgment as I very rarely do anything considered "destructive". This REO house needed an extreme interior makeover.

Michael Thomas
10-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Sometimes... people are.... well... just so dang CREATIVE...

Vern Heiler
10-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Sometimes... people are.... well... just so dang CREATIVE...

That would be the "speed bump" trap:D

Matt Fellman
10-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Dryer vent had probably blown loose 10+ years ago... oh how those carpenter ants love that warm moist air.

I wish I could say this a "great find" but it was pretty easy. Stevie Wonder could have found the ball of sawdust :)

Ted Menelly
10-23-2010, 04:23 PM
I pulled on some blinds that surrounded a rea pool patio area and this fell out from above it. It was just a little sleepy and just wanted to get back in the dark

Rick Hurst
10-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Ted,

I know you know that those will bite the hell out of you and can be rabid. Gloves would be a good idea if your going to handle them.

rick

Ted Menelly
10-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Ted,

I know you know that those will bite the hell out of you and can be rabid. Gloves would be a good idea if your going to handle them.

rick

I know. I was watching him intently. He was still half unconscious from falling 10 straight on his head. I put him on the bush and when he finally woke up he crawled in behind those dead leaves and hung upside down.

I have been in rooms full of them all garbed up. Covered or not, when there are hundreds flying around and at you it is pretty hair raising. I was in Stephenville a couple years ago trying to find out where a bunch of Mexican bats were hiding and how they were getting in. The whole floor was boarded up on the second floor. When I finally got to the end of the building I turned the corner and there were countless bats hanging on some ceiling mesh. When I turned to leave I knocked the flashlight out of my hands and killed it. I had to make my way out the end of the building and down the stairs in the pitch black with all of them all around me.

Matt Fellman
10-23-2010, 07:18 PM
I was in Stephenville a couple years ago trying to find out where a bunch of Mexican bats were hiding and how they were getting in.

I guess we can't keep bats from crossing the border either :)

Rick Hurst
10-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Ted,

If you've never been to Austin on the Congress St. Bridge and seen the bats you should make the trip sometime. There is litterally hundreds of people who line up on the bridge and on the hillside to watch the bats leave out from under the bridge to go have their mosquito feast.

Check out those teeth.

rick

John Kogel
10-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Check out those teeth.

rickAnd they tell us that bats eat mosquitoes and fruit. Yeah right, except on the nights when they're out for blood! :D

Matt, those are textbook ant pic. Thanks for that.

John Kogel
10-24-2010, 07:59 PM
My funny find of this week - Mr Handy did all his own plumbing.
It took 3 pics to get the first one. A long bad slope to an S-trap in the wall. :confused:

Vern Heiler
10-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Ted,

rick
A few years ago my daughter worked at the River Banks Zoo in Columbia SC. She was a zoo keeper in small mammals and took care of the African Bat exhibit. If anyone was bitten by a Bat, the whole colony would have to be killed. In order to be in the exhibit with the bats, all of the personnel had to be given the rabies vaccine to keep from having to destroy the colony if anyone was bitten.

I had always thought the shots were given into the stomach and were very painful. When she first told me she had to get the shots, I felt like someone had pulled my jock strap over my head. She said they were similar to getting a flu shot, just a whole lot more expensive.

From what I have heard, you can catch a lot of other diseases just from the Bat guano.

Ted Menelly
10-24-2010, 08:26 PM
A few years ago my daughter worked at the River Banks Zoo in Columbia SC. She was a zoo keeper in small mammals and took care of the African Bat exhibit. If anyone was bitten by a Bat, the whole colony would have to be killed. In order to be in the exhibit with the bats, all of the personnel had to be given the rabies vaccine to keep from having to destroy the colony if anyone was bitten.

I had always thought the shots were given into the stomach and were very painful. When she first told me she had to get the shots, I felt like someone had pulled my jock strap over my head. She said they were similar to getting a flu shot, just a whole lot more expensive.

From what I have heard, you can catch a lot of other diseases just from the Bat guano.

Bats are nasty and yes, they can have rabies. I should have had gloves on but the darn thing was knocked out at first. I already had the camera in one hand. Watched him like crazy while I just barely held its fur and then placed him on the bush. It took a few minutes for him to come out of it and then hid.

I have never been to Austin but I have seen them coming out of a cave once, and buildings countless times. It was not a large colony from the cave. I do plan on going to Austin one of these days.

Eric Barker
10-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Well since the question wasn't limited to inspections, mine was out in Nevada. I am still trying to figure out why we came back home.

Ted Menelly
10-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Don't stand under the tree in a lightening storm

Don't walk thru the bushes without a stick in front of you

John Dirks Jr
10-25-2010, 05:39 PM
An electrician was one of the previous owners. Looked like he brought various things home from work and installed them. There were sub panels all over the house. Never seen anything like it. There was a service disconnect in the garage. Some of the down leg panels did not have separation of grounds and neutrals. It wasn't fun to inspect.

John Kogel
10-25-2010, 06:07 PM
An electrician was one of the previous owners. Looked like he brought various things home from work and installed them. There were sub panels all over the house. Never seen anything like it. There was a service disconnect in the garage. Some of the down leg panels did not have separation of grounds and neutrals. It wasn't fun to inspect.Lucky you found a fault before your screwdriver died. :D
I'm sure Mr. Sparky thought he was adding value to the place.

Jim Luttrall
10-25-2010, 10:37 PM
An electrician was one of the previous owners. Looked like he brought various things home from work and installed them. There were sub panels all over the house. Never seen anything like it. There was a service disconnect in the garage. Some of the down leg panels did not have separation of grounds and neutrals. It wasn't fun to inspect.
Reminds me of the old Johnny Cash song about the auto plant worker that stole an entire car piece by piece in his lunch bucket that consisted of several different years and models of cars. That is a real beauty alright.:eek:

YouTube - johnny cash-one piece at a time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIuo0KIqD_E)

Michael Thomas
10-26-2010, 03:32 AM
That's a real good example of the question of "where to draw the line". IMO it's just not reasonable to expect HI's to extensively inspect and document "unconventional systems or components" for the price of a normal home inspection., even assuming that (as in this case) it's "possible" for them do so.

Rick Hurst
10-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Finds from yesterday at a Plumbers home. His wife said she was not surprised.:D

rick

Vern Heiler
10-26-2010, 07:32 AM

rick
If I kept getting inspections like that I would think the Realtor didn't like me:D .

Matt Fellman
10-26-2010, 08:04 PM
That's a real good example of the question of "where to draw the line". IMO it's just not reasonable to expect HI's to extensively inspect and document "unconventional systems or components" for the price of a normal home inspection., even assuming that (as in this case) it's "possible" for them do so.

Couldn't agree more... Get somebody else to sort it out... it's just way beyond what I'm being paid to do.

Michael Thomas
10-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Wind stripped cap on EIFS clad wall, AND dumbest rooftop deck's door threshold ever... (water intrusion was present at floor at interior of door).

Matt Fellman
11-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Electric panel in a garage storage cabinet... complete with flammable bags of blankets.

The kicker is the county permit sticker stuck to the wall next to it. Presumably, it would be on the panel cover door..... if it had one :)

I often wonder if my county is even aware the code book exists.... for uses other than a doorstop.

Rick Hurst
11-01-2010, 11:10 PM
We don't need no stinkin hearth extension she said.

rick

brian schmitt
11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Electric panel in a garage storage cabinet... complete with flammable bags of blankets.

The kicker is the county permit sticker stuck to the wall next to it. Presumably, it would be on the panel cover door..... if it had one :)

I often wonder if my county is even aware the code book exists.... for uses other than a doorstop.
hey genius,
did the thought ever enter your head that another genius built the closet after the sticker was put on by the county? probably not!:) :D

Matt Fellman
11-02-2010, 03:14 PM
hey genius,
did the thought ever enter your head that another genius built the closet after the sticker was put on by the county? probably not!:) :D

Sticker from the county was 2005 and for a new circuit for a furnace and a/c unit.... writing on the cabinet doors had the panel labeling on it.... also, wouldn't they have put the permit sticker on the door..... if it had one?????? :)

John Kogel
11-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Sticker from the county was 2005 and for a new circuit for a furnace and a/c unit.... writing on the cabinet doors had the panel labeling on it :)You got the cover off without disturbing all that crap in the cupboard - good job. :)

I had a condo last year, the cabinet in front of the panel had a back on it, and it was stuffed full of canned goods and canning jars. I went back a few days later, after the sellers had emptied the cabinet and pulled it out so I could check the panel. PITA for everybody and it's also wrong! :D

brian schmitt
11-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Sticker from the county was 2005 and for a new circuit for a furnace and a/c unit.... writing on the cabinet doors had the panel labeling on it.... also, wouldn't they have put the permit sticker on the door..... if it had one?????? :)
matt,
i finaled a house that had a sub-panel:D in a pantry closet that had all the code complying clearances. one year later i went back for a generator transfer switch install and had to look at the same sub-panel:D . damn if there wasn't shelves full of canned food built completely blocking the panel. they were gone before i finaled the install, but i would be an idiot if i thought they were still gone. stupid people will do what stupid people do. it isn't always the ahj that is negligent. i could slam some incompetent home inspectors but what good would that do in the scheme of things? like Rodney King said" why can't we all get along"?:cool:

Rick Hurst
11-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Nice use of a skylight for a cricket.:rolleyes:

Vern Heiler
11-03-2010, 04:10 PM
That's a chimney fire monitor:) .

John Kogel
11-03-2010, 07:08 PM
That's a chimney fire monitor:) .Or a trap for Santa Claus. :D

Ted Williams
11-04-2010, 09:20 AM

rick

Love the coffee filter system

Rick Vernon
11-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Deck blocks the garage entry. What a deal!
Could not get a Honda Element into the garage.

Vern Heiler
11-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Agent just happend to be on the deck when I took pic:eek: .

The American Indian thought there soul would be captured in a picture. I wonder what this means?

Jim Luttrall
11-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Love the coffee filter system

I had to look back at what you were talking about but I think what you are seeing are sheet metal termite/rodent shields common on older homes here. I doubt Rick's guy would go to that much trouble!

Jim Luttrall
11-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Agent just happend to be on the deck when I took pic:eek: .

The American Indian thought there soul would be captured in a picture. I wonder what this means?
No worries, probably has already sold his.

John Kogel
11-09-2010, 09:22 AM
"The water heater? It's behind that green panel."

Rick Hurst
11-10-2010, 12:01 AM
It was a wild day as we followed this bobcat from the backyard from behind the pool fence around to the front of the home. He was not scared a bit of us.

rick

Nolan Kienitz
11-10-2010, 07:30 AM

Multi-use products. It's all about efficiency. ;)

Ted Menelly
11-10-2010, 07:50 AM
"The water heater? It's behind that green panel."

And it stays there

Ken Rowe
11-11-2010, 07:54 PM
100 amp sub panel fed off 12 gauge wires double tapped from the range breakers.

Michael Thomas
11-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Another fine Chicago condominium conversion:

Third floor joists pockets at exterior wall - it was pretty much like this all the way around:

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
11-15-2010, 05:25 PM
wonderful crawl space

notice the fine work on getting that last wood piece under the joist. that took time in a creepy crawl space--a look thru support

chas

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
11-15-2010, 05:30 PM
forgot pictures--and how about that insulation--which way is the warm side

Michael Thomas
11-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Moisture intrusion inspection at four story Chicago condo. Built 2005, brick veneer over block, no water resistant barrier in drainage plane, through wall flashings terminate within wall at both interior and exterior.

Rick Hurst
11-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Jesus Saves, shoots, 2 points!:D

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
11-17-2010, 10:05 AM
wife to husband "HONEY HAVE YOU SEE WHISKERS"
husband to wife "HELL WITH CAT WHO LET MY SNAKE OUT"

Scott Jarvis
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
At least the outlet is GFCI protected.

Rick Hurst
11-17-2010, 11:07 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Thats one bad snake!

Rick Hurst
11-17-2010, 04:40 PM
This is a first.

rick

Gunnar Alquist
11-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Rick, yours is cooler, but I was excited to find this today. An old pusher-prop amphibious. Not going to fly any time soon though.

John Kogel
11-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Loads of kitty kaka this week, it must be a curse!
The one place stank so bad, I put my dust mask on to check the E panel. :(
Don't get me wrong, I like cats. It's the people they live with that are disgusting.

There was kitty litter in that closet, and where would the water heater be? Yes, it was behind the panel in the closet.

Rick Hurst
11-19-2010, 10:55 PM
John,

Years ago my wife wanted a cat. I told her no cause she got upset with the boys wetting on the toilet seat a little but was willing to let a cat sh*t in the house.

rick

John Kogel
11-20-2010, 10:10 PM
John,

Years ago my wife wanted a cat. I told her no cause she got upset with the boys wetting on the toilet seat a little but was willing to let a cat sh*t in the house.

rickAsk any cat. They know their shet stinks, and prefer to bury it outside in the neighbor kid's sand box. Cats don't run away from home. They will seek out a better home if they're feeling abused. It takes 2 minutes to clean out a kitty litter tub. If you can't handle that, put in a cat door. End of rant. :D

John Kogel
12-04-2010, 08:51 PM
This attic was so full of storage, I took some pics of the corners and the middle sections and moved on. Then while I was writing up, I realized I hadn't actually seen the bath exhaust vent anywhere. Turned the fan on, went back up and found it.

Marc M
12-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Chimney vent never penetrated the roof deck... Good thing it was never used...

John Ghent
12-06-2010, 06:14 AM
OK if you say so...Or a pic inserted in the report that shows you opened the panel. Must just be me.

The practice started before cameras were invented.

Jack Feldmann
12-12-2010, 09:30 PM
John, weren't you inspecting before business cards were invented? or for that matter, maybe electricity?

Rick Hurst
12-13-2010, 12:35 PM
I found out this last week, that they love corn just as much as the doughnuts.:D

Rick Hurst
12-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Funny Christmas Lights

Michael Thomas
12-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Funhouse stairs:

Rick Hurst
12-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Check out the placement of the trampoline directly below the overhead service wires. :eek:

rick

Michael Thomas
12-20-2010, 09:44 PM
If they hit the wire, they won't be grounded...

John Kogel
12-22-2010, 10:21 AM
If they hit the wire, they won't be grounded...Two hots and a neutral, they don't need to be grounded. But they can move the trampoline. I don't know how to fix those stairs. :D

John Kogel
12-22-2010, 10:23 AM
A Christmas Card for everybody. Happy huntin'.

Frank Bombardiere
12-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Scared the jingle bells out of me when I got to the top of the attic scuttle and took my first peak into the attic. Thought this was Santas last stop.

Michael Thomas
12-30-2010, 10:00 PM
"There, I fixed it", Part XIVXXI:

H.G. Watson, Sr.
12-31-2010, 12:00 PM
"There, I fixed it", Part XIVXXI:

Scarry (not-so-Great-)stuff there Michael!

Perhaps we should ask for a section, scariest stuff or home inspection nightmares!?

Rick Hurst
01-18-2011, 05:51 PM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6382/1294420383024.gif

John Kogel
01-18-2011, 06:10 PM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6382/1294420383024.gifIt's an animated Gif!!! :)

Michael Thomas
01-18-2011, 07:57 PM
I'll gladly pay $20.00 for $10.00 worth of whatever you were smoking.

Michael Thomas
01-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Chicago flipper follies, part XIXXI - gotta' love this roof "support" method:

Also: Gas-fired water heater vented into the attic, abandoned plumbing vent pipe which was directing water onto the attic floor above the (wet) bathroom ceiling, bathroom fan vented into the attic and deteriorating nearby drywall, evidence (efflorescence and previous patching) of numerous previous and present roof/flashing leaks, insulation at the attic floor installed vapor retarder up, substandard electrical wiring practices, non-IC cans, incorrect drainage of air conditioner condensate, etc. etc.

Inspection ended after the attic - just as well, I would likely have been there for 5-6 hours - everything was screwed up - and I dreaded having to write the report...

Tech 9 Home Inspections
01-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Here's a couple I found the other day.

20931 20929

20932 20930

BARRY ADAIR
01-25-2011, 09:20 AM
gyprock found in Corpus Christi

John Kogel
01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Here's a couple I found the other day.
That looks like student housing. "Hey, the light works and not too many cooties in the mattress, we'll take it".

gyprock found in Corpus Christi"That roof was fine until the home inspector stepped on it" :D

Frank Bombardiere
01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Here is one that is just plain silly. I guess an HVAC artist lived there. The third one from the right was the real one.

Michael Thomas
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Yesterday I got a earful from the listing agent - who had got a earful from the seller - because the previous inspector (deal fell through) had marked up the air handler (which was readily visible in a corner of the utility room).

Now, a nice printed label I could see.... I guess... but something scrawled in magic marker?

Then I tried to pull the cover on the blower compartment, and it was stuck because it was twisted up from a previous attempt to open it - and so baldy that I could not get it open.

So I finished up the HVAC, tried to pull the deadfront on the panel next to it... ALL SIX screws are badly stripped... like someone had been using a *very* dull Philips tip in a power driver.

Finally got *it* off, but it was *not* easy.

Per the listing agent (who seemed a decent sort) neither of the last two items were on the previous report... and I just have to wonder: did the last guy screw both up, and just walk away assuming he would never be connected with the damage?

I could see not reporting the stripped screws, but I don't see how he could have avoided reporting the damaged cover - and I was *very* glad that I had the buyer and his agent looking over my shoulder when *I* found it.

And I gotta' wonder: inspection #1?

Michael Thomas
02-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I rarely (I hope) look the total fool at an inspection, but yesterday was almost a "What's your worst miss of the week" day, and I thought the example might be a useful reminder.

50+ unit 6 story condo in Skokie IL built, mid 1990s.

Occupied 4th floor unit, heat supplied from a central boiler via a two pipe system to an air handler which also contained the coil for a unit-specific central AC system with the condenser up on the roof.

Unit was at around 70 F, heat was off at the thermostat (noted, in passing), set the T-Stat to "Heat" and to 85 F, blower comes on, water supply pipe to the AH heats to the touch, walked through the unit with the IR camera, there was heat at every register. OK, everything appears to be kosher.

So I finish up with the AH and move on to the electrical panel, and while I'm taking a few pics, I hear the Listing Agent mention that the unit has "radiant heat".

Well, clearly it does not - I'm standing right beside the AH - and I go on my merry way.

But... it keeps bothering me, so I get the IR camera back out, and start checking floors.

Now, with slab-embedded hydronic system I sometimes cannot image the lines' patterns through carpeting or even wood floors if there is an insulating underlayment, but if the heat is on, I've *always* been able to see at least a faint pattern *somewhere* at a ceramic tile kitchen or bathroom floor, and usually it's quite distinct:

http://paragoninspects.com/articles/images/articles/ir-services/interior/toilet_hydronic-600pix.jpg

But at this unit, I see nothing.

Finally, we reach the end of the inspection, and head down to the basement so I can check the storage locker and the parking space, and see if perhaps I can find the shut off valves for the hot and cold domestic hot water risers up to the unit.

And while I'm looking for *those*, over in the corner, *almost* out of sight behind a protective steel plate welded between two bollards, I find a what sure looks like a manifold for hydronic heating, with lines heading upwards.

So NOW I ask if the broker has a copy of the listing (which of course I should have looked at on line before the inspection), and sure enough, it lists "radiant floor heat".

And the light goes on: I "should" have wondered why the heat was off at the T-Stat...

Anyway, I eventually get the whole story, which is a setup new to me: the primary heat for each unit is the in-slab hydronic, controlled by the building, which is intended to maintain 68-70 F. The AH is intended to provide *auxiliary* heat if a unit owner wants the unit warmer.

IMO, it would have been somewhat embarrassing to miss the primary heat source.:mad:

Morals for the story:

1) Check out the listing before the inspection, every time.

2) When you encounter something that surprises you (heat off, in a adequately heated unit) ask yourself "why?" instead of just moving on.

3) Do not assume the agent/owner/manager is a idiot, ask yourself "Why would they think that'?. Better yet, ask.

-----------------

(As for why In could not image the lines, who knows? Heat had been off too long? Lines buried too deep and slab thermal mass too great? Some kind of insulating and/or control underlayment under the finish flooring? Some combination of the above? Something else?)

Ted Menelly
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
My worse find.....because I can't have one.

Michael Thomas
03-10-2011, 06:12 PM
My timing was good today, I had just finished my explanation of how AFCI protection extends to extension cords when I spotted this one, running into a home office:

Eric Shuman
03-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Four of these support posts in a row (set in concrete no less) under the deck doing a pretty darn good job of making sure those two rows of deck planks won't ever fall through.

They were not attached to anything, not even the planks.

John Kogel
03-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Bath fan with a 'kill' switch. Right above the tub, too. The tape insulation is a nice touch. I actually felt a little buzz from it when I went to turn it off. :confused:

BTW, for Canadian inspectors, in Canada, no switches have ever been allowed within 3 feet of the tub.

Rick Hurst
03-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Builder said he could not understand the need for a fence. :confused:

Rick Hurst
05-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Home Inspection find today.

A whole gal. of the stuff....:eek:

Eric Shuman
05-18-2011, 04:01 PM
They always ban the stuff that really works! :eek: Hey, at least they didn't just pour it down the drain or out in the backyard!

I live in a 60 year old house. Probably still some of this stuff in the soil around my foundation.

Ted Menelly
05-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Ingenuity at its best

Michael Thomas
06-15-2011, 04:17 AM
There... fixed it!

Out of curiosity, what section of the code (if any) is violated by plugging the conduit ends with expanding foam?

Trent Tarter
07-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Entire front of home cantilervers over foundation about 24 inches. The problem 2x6 floor joists and 24 inches centers! Floor struture below is exposed and uninsulated across the entire front of home. This was built in 1977, entire front of home has setttled and dropped a little.

John Kogel
07-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Entire front of home cantilervers over foundation about 24 inches. The problem 2x6 floor joists and 24 inches centers! Floor struture below is exposed and uninsulated across the entire front of home. This was built in 1977, entire front of home has setttled and dropped a little.I can understand that in an old hippie house or bush cabin, but that looks like a normal suburban hacienda. Hard to believe no one has ever questioned it. They glued some Faux Stones up to make it look right.:confused:

Trent Tarter
07-19-2011, 05:56 PM
I can understand that in an old hippie house or bush cabin, but that looks like a normal suburban hacienda. Hard to believe no one has ever questioned it. They glued some Faux Stones up to make it look right.:confused:

Yea this was in a nice little subdivision in town. The funny thing is that there were several homes in the area built just like it. You could see that some people had added supoort posts and piers below the front of them.

Matt Fellman
07-19-2011, 07:56 PM
It's been a looooong week and it's only Tuesday

BARRY ADAIR
07-21-2011, 03:10 AM
vannihilation

2nd pic has condensate discharge behind gas meter for added drip irrigation

John Arnold
07-21-2011, 03:43 PM
enjoy