PDA

View Full Version : Did you post this pricture of a deteriorating lintel?

Michael Thomas
10-10-2010, 02:53 AM
I turned up this picture during a web search, and would like to identify the author to obtain permission to use it (with attribution, of course, and a link if desired) in an article for my web site:

http://inspectionnews.com/ubb/uploads/DSC04509.JPG

The link is http://inspectionnews.com/ubb/uploads/DSC04509.JPG

H.G. Watson, Sr.
10-10-2010, 08:03 AM
That's from a post and one of three photos uploaded by Erby Crofutt, posted November 28, 2004 at IN-dot-com. Looks like terra cotta glazed facing brick popular in the mid-late 60s btw, softer, lime rich mortar.

Here is a link to the topic thread entitled "Rusted Steel Lintels"...hope the link works.

Rusted Steel Lintels - InspectionNews.com (http://www.inspectionnews.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000192.html)

Here's a link to E.C.'s current profile.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/members/erby-crofutt.html

See last logged in a few hours after your post, perhaps you've already heard from E.C....if not contact info aval on profile links.

HTH.

Bill Parrish
10-10-2010, 11:22 AM
If yer in Chicago, ya ought to be able to walk no more than one or two blocks and find worse...

Michael Thomas
10-10-2010, 12:37 PM
like the I nice end-on view on that one.

Michael Thomas
10-10-2010, 12:43 PM
HG, thanks for hunting that up.

Gunnar Alquist
10-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey Michael,

I did not post that one, but if you want similar brick pics, you can have these.

J Humphrey
11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Here's a thin gauge lintel I found on a recent inspection that has surprisingly rusted thru, darn humidity.

Bob Elliott
11-01-2010, 08:25 PM
If yer in Chicago, ya ought to be able to walk no more than one or two blocks and find worse...

Haha
You got that right.

Frank Bombardiere
11-01-2010, 09:01 PM
At least there was a lintel. Here is a brand new home that I did last week.

Bob Elliott
11-01-2010, 09:42 PM
At least there was a lintel. Here is a brand new home that I did last week.

Frank the general or broad View seems different from the closeup.
Do you have a shot of the entrance /garage door area as broad view by any chance ?

Frank Bombardiere
11-01-2010, 10:16 PM
No, it is the same house, just the exposure is a little different. There were dark clouds when I took the broad view and it was lighter later when I took the close up pics.

Bob Elliott
11-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I usually do not see brick veneer with the soldiered brick like that.
It appears other than the cracking in the picture that it may not be too bad of an issue due to it only being only one row of brick with the large overhang and the roof directly above.
How about the windows in the over view (did they have lintels?).

Frank Bombardiere
11-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Yes, there were lintels everywhere else. The house was new so it was not showing much right now, but I have seen them sagging pretty good after a few years that were done this way. Soldiers over the garage doors here is very common and they should have a lintel.

Peter Louis
11-10-2010, 12:00 PM
If they are single car garage, the lintel(wood board) should be fine. I saw lots of construction in my area like this even on the double car garage. the pictures are a 2 car garage with living space on top. this is I put on my report: 'There are cracks on the exterior side wall beside the lintel. It could be the cause of undersized lintel or the settlement. We suggest monitoring. If there is further movement, repair is necessary.' due to the over 15 yrs building.

Nick Ostrowski
11-10-2010, 01:33 PM
If they are single car garage, the lintel(wood board) should be fine. I saw lots of construction in my area like this even on the double car garage. the pictures are a 2 car garage with living space on top. this is I put on my report: 'There are cracks on the exterior side wall beside the lintel. It could be the cause of undersized lintel or the settlement. We suggest monitoring. If there is further movement, repair is necessary.' due to the over 15 yrs building.

To each their own but I've never liked the recommendation of "monitor". Especially when the crack shows evidence of movement.

Peter Louis
11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Yes, every part expected a clear address good or bad, yes or no. But some scenarios I prefer monitoring for example the rust on some parts of copper pipe but the whole condition is not really bad. Like this garage gate crack, apparently the lintel is undersized for the living space above or the hidden metal lintel rust unlikely but I cannot tell. Because this is an over 15 years old house, I do not think this is a major issue for the client. Therefore I suggest monitoring until it is necessary to have it fixed.