View Full Version : Return air balance

Jake Guerrero
07-17-2007, 12:57 PM
I inspected a new home the other day where the master bedroom seemed like it was pressurized (I would close the door, and the door would be 'sucked' into the frame).

I had 2 supply vents in the master bedroom, and at least one in the adjoining master bath (maybe two, I can't recall..the master bath was large).

There was a return air vent about 7 feet on the ouside of the master bedroom in a hall area. The unit served master bed and bath, an office, and part of another living area.

To cicumvent this problem (besides more space between the door and floor) I have seen return air sized ductwork run in the attic between living areas, with return air grilles and no filters (looks like a big Slinky when u see it in the attic).

My question is...is there an industry term for the extra ductwork supplying more return air from a living area? I suppose a small return vent could be installed in the master bedroom and vented with the main hallway since they are so close.


Jim Luttrall
07-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Jumper duct is the term that comes to mind.

Jerry Peck
07-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Or 'bridge duct'.

Or 'balance duct'.

Or ... Phillip, Kevin and the other HVAC guys will likely add more terms.

Jake Guerrero
07-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks. I'll use whichever of these I think of first :)

Phillip Stojanik
07-17-2007, 09:51 PM
"Jumper ducts" or just "jump duct" is what we call them here.

If it were me though I would just add a 12" by 24" return-air-filter-grill in the ceiling and duct it to the return plenum of the system rather than using a passive jumper duct system.