PDA

View Full Version : Odd ejector plumbing

Michael Thomas
07-17-2007, 03:55 PM
"Ejector" pump. Lid is attached to floor in manner I could not determine, and I could not remove it to determine if anything (DWV or foundation drain) is draining into the sump below the lid, but there is nothing but a laundry in this basement (AC condensate drain enters pump lid neat corner of room).

But... what's up with this "loop" arrangement - makes no sense to me....

wayne soper
07-17-2007, 05:12 PM
WHY? or is that a Polish joke?

John Arnold
07-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Not sure about this pump in particular, but sewage ejector pumps are supposed to discharge into the waste line from the top - maybe that's why it's plumbed this way?
But - that doesn't really look like a sewage pump anyway - the lid doesn't looked sealed. Are there openings in the lid? Do you know what drains into it in that copper pipe? It looks more like a sump pump.

James Duffin
07-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Looks good to me except the line from the pump needs a check valve and a ball valve installed.

Michael Thomas
07-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Looks good to me except the line from the pump needs a check valve and a ball valve installed.

The discharge side of that is to the right (at least, that's the side with the check valve).

the lid doesn't looked sealed

Oh, it's sealed down real good, and I could not determine how. The lid is home-made and there didn't seem to be any fasteners - I suspect it's caulked down to the floor with adhesive caulk. Attic access was sealed up tight too - got an OK from the sellers to try to open it - worked on it for quite a while with the Stanley knife, but finally gave up when the plywood hatch cover started to delaminate before I could break it loose. Hopefully the sellers will get it off, and I'll be back there for a second look.

This was a Flip O' Rama, and there are a number of such home-brews (I thought the 25' garden-hose drain line from the island dishwahser to the laundery tub in the basement was pretty slick, myself)... lots of (I suspect) unpermited work - and I recommended the clients check with the building department.

Realtor was there when I gave the clients my "you could be on the hook for unpermited work by former owners" speech.

Afterwards, when the clients we driving off we talked a bit about the inspection.

Realtor said:

"While I was driving down I was taking to the listing broker, and she asked how it thought the inspection would go. I told here that I didn't have a particular reason, but the 'vibe' I got from this house was 'Unpermited Rehab by Son-In-Law'".