PDA

View Full Version : what to use under vinyl siding romex simplull, BX, Conduitit + NYC Code?

Barbara Lande
10-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Electrical for lights exterior Under vinyl siding what is within code in NYC regarding electrical for lights.?
ROMEX BRAND SIMPULL, BX, or CONDUITIT.
And why.
Also what is advantages and disadvantages of each under vinyl siding.
i WAS TOLD A NAIL OR SCREW CAN GO THROUGH ROMEX AND NOT WITHIN CODE AND TOLD IT IS WITHIN CODE, TOLD BX IS NOT FOR WET AREAS AND IT GETS WET UNDER VINYL SIDING THEN TOLD IT CAN BE USED. THE CONDUITIT DOESN'T FIT UNDER VINYL SIDING TO THICK BUT I KNOW THAT IS WITHIN CODE IN NYC.
PLEASE IF YOU HAVE THIS INFO. ANSWER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
nEW TO COMPUTERS AND IT TOOK 2 HOURS TO FIND HOW TO PUT THIS IN. i AM NOT SURE HOW TO FIND ME RESPONCE. could you give me an idea how to see response.

THANKS

Philip
10-18-2010, 12:50 PM
[quote=Barbara Lande;147879]Under vinyl siding what is within code in NYC regarding electrical for lights.?
ROMEX BRAND SIMPULL, BX, or CONDUITIT.
And why.
Also what is advantages and disadvantages of each under vinyl siding.
i WAS TOLD A NAIL OR SCREW CAN GO THROUGH ROMEX AND NOT WITHIN CODE AND TOLD IT IS WITHIN CODE, TOLD BX IS NOT FOR WET AREAS AND IT GETS WET UNDER VINYL SIDING THEN TOLD IT CAN BE USED. THE CONDUITIT DOESN'T FIT UNDER VINYL SIDING TO THICK BUT I KNOW THAT IS WITHIN CODE IN NYC.
PLEASE IF YOU HAVE THIS INFO. ANSWER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
nEW TO COMPUTERS AND IT TOOK 2 HOURS TO FIND HOW TO PUT THIS IN. i AM NOT SURE HOW TO FIND ME RESPONCE. could you give me an idea how to see response.
None of the above. You do not put any wiring under the siding.

Markus Keller
10-19-2010, 02:07 PM
This post is a joke, right?
As Philip mentioned, don't install any of it under the vinyl siding. Install inside of walls or surface mount using approved materials. If a guy tells you its Ok to put electrical under vinyl siding, ask to see his electrical license.

Jerry Peck
10-19-2010, 04:56 PM
As the others have said: put the wiring IN the wall, and to continue with that idea ... NM cable (RomexTM is just one brand of NM cable) *IS NOT* allowed to be used outdoors, not even if in conduit.

The NM cable would need to end in an interior junction box and a wiring method approved for use outdoors would then need to be connected to the NM cable and run outdoors.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
10-20-2010, 06:22 AM
In re: "What to use under vinyl siding romex simplull, BX, Conduitit +NYC Code?"

What to use? A NYC licensed Electrical Contractor and a valid permit.

NYC doesn't allow electrical installation by anyone else.

See (a clickable link, put mouse pointer at this web address, should open a new window):

Department of Buildings (http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dob//html/applications_and_permits/electrical_permit_and_insp.shtml)