PDA

View Full Version : Washer on GFCI

dan orourke
07-17-2007, 08:04 PM

Phillip Stojanik
07-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Nothing that I know of that says a washer can not be on a GFCI protected outlet.

Rick Hurst
07-17-2007, 09:01 PM
It could lead to possible nuisance tripping of the GFCI.

Jerry Peck
07-18-2007, 02:26 PM
It could lead to possible nuisance tripping of the GFCI.

Not if the washer motor is 'not failing', then the GFCI tripping is not "nuisance tripping", it is trying to tell you something ... replace the motor, whatever else if causing the ground fault, or replace the clothes washer.

The allowable ground fault current for motors and appliances is 1/100 of that which trips a GFCI, thus, if the washer trips the GFCI, it is telling you 'something is wrong with me - check me out'.

Scott Patterson
07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
The newer GFCI's do not nuisance trip like the older ones. I have to disagree that just because an appliance trips a GFCI it does not necessarily mean that that the appliance has a problem. Yes, it could be a problem and it would not hurt to check it out. But, the old GFCI outlets would nuisance trip easily with just about any motorized device.

Jerry Peck
07-18-2007, 02:48 PM
But, the old GFCI outlets would nuisance trip easily with just about any motorized device.

Scott,

That wasn't the "the old GFCI outlets", that was the old appliances causing the problem.

Those "old appliances" were allowed much higher ground fault current within themselves, and "those old appliances" (typically motorized appliances) would trip the GFCI protection (even new GFCI protection) simply because they were allowed to be manufactured 'that bad'. They no longer are, and thus should not be a problem.

That said, an "old appliance" which trips a GFCI is simply saying (for an "old" appliance) *I'm not real safe to use, even though I may be, or may not be, within my old limits ... like all things, progress has determined that my level of ground fault current is no longer 'safe enough' and is thus no longer allowed to be 'made in' to the appliance*.

Don't blame the old GFCI, they have always been set to trip at 5 ma plus or minus 1 ma. Blame those old appliances, which, by the way, are still around. How many homes still have 20-30 year old appliances? Quite a few.

Scott Patterson
07-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Scott,

That wasn't the "the old GFCI outlets", that was the old appliances causing the problem.

Those "old appliances" were allowed much higher ground fault current within themselves, and "those old appliances" (typically motorized appliances) would trip the GFCI protection (even new GFCI protection) simply because they were allowed to be manufactured 'that bad'. They no longer are, and thus should not be a problem.

That said, an "old appliance" which trips a GFCI is simply saying (for an "old" appliance) *I'm not real safe to use, even though I may be, or may not be, within my old limits ... like all things, progress has determined that my level of ground fault current is no longer 'safe enough' and is thus no longer allowed to be 'made in' to the appliance*.

Don't blame the old GFCI, they have always been set to trip at 5 ma plus or minus 1 ma. Blame those old appliances, which, by the way, are still around. How many homes still have 20-30 year old appliances? Quite a few.

Point and your serve! :)

Jim Luttrall
07-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Older GFCI outlets ARE more suseptible to nuisance tripping than newer models in my experience. Not to disagree that old appliances don't cause tripping, but the older the GFCI, the more prone to problems in my experience.

Jerry Peck
07-18-2007, 07:23 PM
but the older the GFCI, the more prone to problems in my experience.

Just like ALL things which are *older*, right? Even plain old receptacles lose their tension and don't work as well as when they were new.

Thus, don't "remove" the GFCI, if it trips and it's OLD (and you feel like blaming the GFCI), replace the GFCI, then ... if it trips, check the appliance ... but don't ignore the appliance from the get go and "blame" GFCIs for 'nuisance tripping' - there are reasons they trip ... old ones and new ones.

I will agree that an old GFCI on an old appliance may trip, but that's not "nuisance tripping", that's telling you "there is a problem" there.

*I* would recommend replacing or repairing the appliance if the appliance is THAT "old", and, while you are at it, replace the GFCI too.