PDA

View Full Version : Why is this hosebib not ok?

Rob Condon
10-24-2010, 08:41 AM
I am new and finding some things that don't make sense. This hosebib works fine. I told the client that it should be placed back into the wall to prevent freezing and for support. Does that sound right or should I word different?

Benjamin Thompson
10-24-2010, 09:13 AM
I am new and finding some things that don't make sense. This hosebib works fine. I told the client that it should be placed back into the wall to prevent freezing and for support. Does that sound right or should I word different?

I would add: Install a freeze resistant faucet with vacuum breaker / anti-siphin device and replace all polybutylene piping.

Markus Keller
10-24-2010, 09:41 AM
There are a few issues with that. Is the plastic pipe approved in your area? If not, recommend removal and replacement.
They would be better off with a proper freeze cock instead of that set-up. Whenever I see an old plain valve like that I look for an accessible interior shut-off. If there is one, I put its' location in the report and the importance of closing it once weather starts getting cold. If there isn't one, I explain the potential problems.
I always recommend caulking around the pipe, seen to many bees/bugs use those as access points.
Hope that helps.

John Kogel
10-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I'll add one more: Evidence of amateur plumbing. There could be hidden defects, which could lead to leaks in the walls, etc.

neal lewis
10-24-2010, 01:48 PM
That looks like a boiler drain valve. How do you fasten that to the siding?

Bill Hetner
10-25-2010, 12:47 AM
I would recomend removal and installation of a hose bibb that has the shut off inside the house. the anti freezing one as susgested before. they will attach to the house and provide proper protection against freezing. they are not fool proof as I have had one improperly installed and it split at the inside shut off just after the valve. It leaked when tap was on but shut off further on the hose. make sure it is properly angled to drain out when shut off too. advising on inside shut off's is a good point too as perviously mentioned

Scott Hermodson
10-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Exposure of polybutylene piping to sunlight, also a no no.

Egbert Jager
10-25-2010, 02:46 PM
I always comment on penetrations of the vinyl siding like this one.

Although we live in Alberta and rarely experience the rains or humidity of other areas, the poor workmanship that allows water to penetrate so easily is probably indicative of other potential problems. Its typical of homeowner renos and low-ball contractors and although it is probably present in at least half of the homes I inspect, it is certainly not part of the best practices that I would like to see.

Curt Downs
10-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Think positive here. That darn thing sticks out so far you don't need to go out and buy a hose. Then again, imagine the kids running around the corner and colliding with that. Or running the lawn tractor close to the house. Niagara Falls.

Glenn Duxbury
10-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Hi there (All) &

Greetings --> Bill H. /Welcome aboard !

Yessirree - that's a 'gem', all right...

Unsupported /waaaaay too long /no anti-syphon device /Poly-B exposed.

Talk about "unprofessional" !

CHEERS !