PDA

View Full Version : Sediment traps not insatalled???

Andy Jarchow
10-25-2010, 05:50 AM
Hello all,

On some newer installs I’m starting to find more and more without sediment traps.

Has something changed?

As a home inspector do you call this out and recommend it be fixed before closing?

I almost forgot to mention this is natural gas.

See the attached photo of a water heater and gas line for the fire place along the back wall.

Thank you

mk

Vern Heiler
10-25-2010, 06:13 AM
Good morning Mike. I don't know of a mfg. that does not require a sediment trap in the installation instructions. Therefore what code enforcement does or doesn't enforce is a mute question. I tell the client that the cost of installing a sediment trap, which is $5 of parts and 10 minutes labor, takes away the mfg's "get out of jail free" card.

The AHJ's in my area did not enforce the sediment trap for many years but now do.

Bruce Ramsey
10-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Yes, I call them out regardless of the age of the home. The applicances are usually ten years old or less and were required when the applicance was installed.

Andy Jarchow
10-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Thank you Vern and Bruce!
Have a great day
mk

Brandon Whitmore
10-28-2010, 10:51 AM
The sediment trap requirement for the water heater is a given.
It's not so simple with the gas line to a fireplace. Sediment traps to "fireplaces" are only required if required by the manufacturer.

Andy Jarchow
10-28-2010, 11:11 AM
The sediment trap requirement for the water heater is a given.
It's not so simple with the gas line to a fireplace. Sediment traps to "fireplaces" are only required if required by the manufacturer.
Thank you I didn't know that.:)