PDA

View Full Version : Wall mounted commode

M Kelekci
07-18-2007, 06:58 AM
A builder friend called me yesterday.
This is what happenned.
When doing the under slab (post tensioned) rough in, plumber put the pvc commode drain in the wrong place.
It is under the staircase leading upstairs and there is not enough ceiling height at where drain is placed.
From edge of the commode drain to the opposite wall, it is 57''.

And I told him if

He installs a wall mounted commode and a small (as in very small) vanity, he can meet the code requirements.

Code requirements to be met are;
Ceiling height, where the commode seat is, should be at least 7'.
From commode to the sink there should be 21'' clearence.

If he finds a wall mounted commode which is 24'' from the wall and again if he finds a vanity which is 12'' from the opposite wall, that leaves us with 21'' clearence between the fixtures. (12+24=36, 57-36=21).

And questions,

1. Has anybody seen 12'' vanity?
2. Has anybody seen wall mounted units in residential houses?
3. Does this configuration even make sense?

Inputs/corrections appreciated.

PS; Sorry no pictures.

John Arnold
07-18-2007, 07:02 AM

My brother-in-law installed a wall-mounted commode in his new bath. No problems, as far as I know.

M Kelekci
07-18-2007, 07:04 AM
My brother-in-law installed a wall-mounted commode in his new bath. No problems, as far as I know.

How is it flushed? Like the ones we see at commercial restrooms or with a traditional tank?

John Arnold
07-18-2007, 07:09 AM
No tank, so I assume like the commercial type. My B-in-L is into industrial and commercial stuff.

John Arnold
07-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Re: Wall Mounted Toilet (http://www.terrylove.com/wwwboard/messages/16426.html)

Something I found with a quick Google search.

Dom D'Agostino
07-18-2007, 09:11 AM
And questions,

1. Yes, on an airplane.
2. Many times, and they all leak at the flange/wall seal. People use the wrong parts to install them, and they leak.

Jerry Peck
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM

Not that would be acceptable for a dwelling unit bathroom.

Yes, but they are deeper front to back (wall) than floor mounted toilets, plus they are *A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE*, mostly because of the cast iron carrier needed in the wall to support it.

3. Does this configuration even make sense?

Not to me, I doubt it would work out as you plan.

Standard lavatory is going to be at least 18"-20" front to back (wall), wall hung toilet is going to be about like an elongated toilet (minimum) front to back (wall), and I doubt you will get anywhere near 21" between them.

M Kelekci
07-18-2007, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=Jerry Peck;12194]Not that would be acceptable for a dwelling unit bathroom.
QUOTE]

Thanks for your contribution to this forum, Mr. Peck.

I was wondering why having a smaller lavatory is not acceptable in a patio home. Is 18'' smallest size allowable in homes?