PDA

View Full Version : Code of Ethics Question

Bill Anglin
10-27-2010, 10:29 AM
In our questionable economy I am looking for other ways to increase revenue. So many times I inspect electrical panels that are not labeled correctly. I have the equipment and the know how to properly label the panel and perform a load calculation on circuits. Does anyone know if doing this as an additional service is considered working on the home which would be a violation of the code of ethics? Any input greatly appreciated.

Scott Patterson
10-27-2010, 10:53 AM
In our questionable economy I am looking for other ways to increase revenue. So many times I inspect electrical panels that are not labeled correctly. I have the equipment and the know how to properly label the panel and perform a load calculation on circuits. Does anyone know if doing this as an additional service is considered working on the home which would be a violation of the code of ethics? Any input greatly appreciated.

If it is part of the Washington SOP to note that a panel is labeled or not, then I would say that it would not be the thing that you would want to be doing.

I have found that if you have to question or ask if something is ethical or not then usually it is not.

Bill Anglin
10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
I question it because the WA state SOP says that we cannot make repairs on a house for 1 year after the home is inspected. Is labeling a panel considered a repair? I guess I'm thinking of it more as an additional service as opposed to a repair.

Jim Luttrall
10-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I question it because the WA state SOP says that we cannot make repairs on a house for 1 year after the home is inspected. Is labeling a panel considered a repair? I guess I'm thinking of it more as an additional service as opposed to a repair.
If you call it out as a deficiency (I do) then to make it not be deficient would be.. a... (come on say it with me!) a... Repair!:D

Bill Anglin
10-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Got it. Thank you

John Steinke
10-29-2010, 04:11 AM
Sounds like electrical work and engineering work; are you licensed to do work, either as an electrical contractor or as a professional engineer?