PDA

View Full Version : Electric baseboard heat

Robert Mattison
10-27-2010, 12:29 PM
I want to tell the home owner to remove his existing 240 volt electric
baseboard heat, found inside his condo, beneath an exterior sliding
glass door.

Can anyone out there tell, if I have leg to stand, in making this request.

Thanks in advance to all that answer this thread.

Billy Stephens
10-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Can anyone out there tell, if I have leg to stand,

Not unless The Heater's Manufacturer's Installation Instructions Prohibit.

John Arnold
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
glass door.

It probably keeps the door from fogging up in winter.
If memory serves, you do have winters in Vermont.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
10-27-2010, 01:30 PM
glass door.

Didn't we just have this discussion last week? Did you ever supply the model number for what was installed? answer the specifics? Did you acquire the installation instructions and clearances from the manufacturer for the units? The dimmensions? What about the height of the step up/through for the slider creating a technical "STAIR"? Thought you said you were "bringing in an engineer(?)"!!! Obviously the room requires "x" amount of heat - just removing doesn't seem a viable option. Replacing perhaps with in-the-wall flush units already mentioned; but then again there is that issue of the STEP up and down /elevated threshold through the sliding door. IIRC you didn't mention if hydro/electric or plain electric both can have the same wattage/ft you mentioned at 72"sections, both have fins.

Do you need a link to your prior thread? In case you can't find it, here is a link to your prior thread (clickable link): http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/electrical-systems-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/22044-electric-baseboard-heat.html

As far as your personal ability to get a seller to do anything, doubtful, as a Home Inspector. Even as a buyer, doubtful. Negotiating a reduction or offset in price, perhaps, but unless you're acting as your own (no buyer's agent, no RealEstate attorney) that's usually something done (negotiations) via another party. Are you doing a pre-listing inspection for the buyer? Otherwise I can't imagine why you'd be telling the owner/seller to be doing anything....:confused:

Robert Mattison
10-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks, H.G. for your solid advice. R.M.

I was out with a bad cold. And yes I lost it, not be able to
remember.