PDA

View Full Version : Cutler Hammer breaker identification help

Robert Foster
10-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I know some Square D and I think some Cutler Hammer circuit breakers are designed for 2 conductors but, I don't see much Cutler Hammer equipment and I don't know if these circuit breakers are designed/rated for 2 conductors or not. On Square D equipment I can always see the contact plate designed for 2 conductors but I can't see anything on these.

I tried reading the breaker labels on site and at home with photo editing, but my eyes are not what they used to be...I really need to add a good magnifying glass to my tool bag.

Can anyone more experienced than I tell me if these are rated for 2 conductors?

Thanks.

Bruce King
10-28-2010, 02:09 PM
They are for one conductor only. The dual type will always have seperation between the wires with a double saddle.

Robert Foster
10-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Thank you Bruce...

Bruce Hutton
10-28-2010, 08:00 PM
I agree...Thats a double tap for sure!:eek:

Imagine not removing the panel covers & missing this.

I went ot a continuing ed class over the summer & there were 3-4 inspectors out of 20 that said they do not remove the covers.

Bill Kriegh
10-29-2010, 04:50 AM
The answer to the question is what type of breaker this is. If it is a type CH it is listed for 2 wires if the wire sizes are #14 - #10.

Jim Port
10-29-2010, 05:03 AM
The answer to the question is what type of breaker this is. If it is a type CH it is listed for 2 wires if the wire sizes are #14 - #10.

The brown handle confirms that they are CH breakers. The plastic mounting foot means these are the newer style that is available now on the shelves. The older style had a metal foot.

Robert Foster
10-29-2010, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the additional replies.

They are CH type....my photo editing and vision quality allow me to determine that...but googling Cutler Hammer CH breaker specifications has yet for me to find it in writing that they are listed for two conductors.

I'll keep trying as time allows.....

Bill Kriegh
10-29-2010, 07:03 AM
If you click the link above for checking the types of wire allowed you will be on a CH catalog page that also shows that 2 wires are permissible in sizes #14 - #10. Incidently, this is the only way you could have a mix of solid and stranded..........

I posted that link because it provides a place to see what the specs are and provide answers to what are frequent questions here, at least on CH type breakers. Further research on this and other catalog sites will provide info on neutral/ground buss bars and permitted wire combinations. There are also things you probably haven'y seen yet, like AFCI breakers that clip onto a neutral buss as well as a line buss and consequently don't have a neutral pigtail.

All the current manufacturers have this type of catalog page on line.

Robert Foster
10-29-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm not seeing your link, but it sounds like just what I need to read and look forward to it's appearance. :)

Mike Schulz
11-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Pull the two and pig tail it with a wire and nut and single wire it back. Ask a AHJ (another thread) and they will walk the home owner on how to change :D

Tony Peluso
11-01-2010, 03:10 PM
hyugtf