PDA

View Full Version : gas shut off valve

Jeff Eastman
07-18-2007, 12:21 PM

Brian E Kelly
07-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I am not sure of the code but a gas valve can not be easily turned and or damaged. What is the valve shutting off? I have never seen one in a cabinet.

John Arnold
07-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I see the valves under cabinets where the gas hard pipe transitions to flex connector, usually for a gas counter unit. I tend to worry more about the flex connector getting banged around, but I don't believe it's against code.

Phillip Stojanik
07-18-2007, 01:30 PM
From the 2006 IRC...

"G2420.1.3 (409.1.3) Access to shutoff valves. Shutoff valves shall be located in places so as to provide access for operation and shall be installed so as to be protected from damage."

..."protected from damage" is a very general statement but I supposed you could make the argument that the valve could potentially be damaged by heavy stored items sharing the same space. You would, no doubt, get plenty of counter-arguments as well.

Jim Luttrall
07-18-2007, 02:02 PM
I think damage would be very unlikely inside a cabinet. I never call it. Now if it is for a slide in range where the unit would damage the flex connector, yeah. But a valve under a cook top, etc. would be pretty safe.

Richard Rushing
07-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Same as Jim... I have never called it as In need of repair.

RR

Bob Harper
07-19-2007, 06:28 AM
The IFGC Commentary mentions that shutoffs located outdoors are more prone to damage than those indoors. I don't think they expect to see crash bollards or a steel cage surrounding them.

I agree I'd be more concerned with flex, esp. if there are large loops from using one too long.
Bob

Fong Hau
08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Hello Everyone,
I need help with an issue, I am in a process of selling my house. the buyer hired an inspection done, this is what he wrote about the gas valve for the stove.
can anyone here verify this information for me.
thanks in advance,
Fong

"The emergency gas shut-off valve for the stove/oven is located directly to the rear of the stove/oven. It is neither visible nor accessible. In the event of an emergency and the need to cut the flow of natural gas to the appliance it is preferred that the shut-off valve to be located in the lower cabinet to the right or left of the appliance. In the interest of safety, the emergency gas valve should be relocated.”- David J. Stiles ‘Around the House’ Home Inspections

Rick Cantrell
08-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Hello Everyone,
I need help with an issue, I am in a process of selling my house. the buyer hired an inspection done, this is what he wrote about the gas valve for the stove. can anyone here verify this information for me.
thanks in advance,
Fong
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachment.php?attachmentid=23060&stc=1&d=1313604047

Fong
Thank you for your question.
It is acceptable for the gas valve on a stove/ oven to be located behind the appliance. There is no requirement for the valve to be relocated.

Fong Hau
08-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Hi Rick,
thank you for the quick reply, so what is this inspector implying to?
could this be his personal opinion and or is it in the code?
thank you,
Fong

Rick Cantrell
08-17-2011, 11:30 AM
The confusion likely comes from the inspector misreading the requirement.
The code will read something like this.

G2420.5 (409.5) Equipment shutoff valve.

Each appliance

shall be provided with a shutoff valve separate from the appliance.
The shutoff valve shall be located in the same room as the
appliance, not further than 6 feet (1829 mm) from the appliance,
and shall be installed upstream from the union, connector
or quick disconnect device it serves. Such shutoff valves shall
be provided with access.
From the Definitions:

ACCESSIBLE. Signifies access that requires the removal of
an access panel or similar removable obstruction.

ACCESSIBLE, READILY. Signifies access without the
necessity for removing a panel or similar obstruction.

Some inspectors confuse "accessible" with " readily accessible".
Even when you have to move an appliance (stove) the gas valve is still accessible.
Readily accessible is where nothing is in the way of the gas valve.

A stove only needs to be accessible.

Bob Harper
08-17-2011, 04:17 PM
The shutoff is not an 'emergency' shutoff per the code. It does not need to have 'ready access'.

The emergency shutoff is at the gas meter or LPG tank. In the event of an emergency, the code does not expect an occupant to stick their hand into a combustible vapor cloud.