PDA

View Full Version : Yet….another ……float switch question (With photo)

Gene South
11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Yet….another ……float switch question.

My method of testing these float switches is to lift up on the switch while keeping my hand on the small AC line. Most of the ones I have seen (one new houses at least) is that the switch shuts down the outside condenser unit. So my test is to touch the small line and feel for the vibration of the flowing refrigerant and then lift the switch. When my hand feels the vibration stop, I know the flow of refrigerant has stopped, and the outside unit has shut down. That simple test usually goes as planned on new houses, but today the vibration did not stop on both of the units at the house. So now I don’t know if it is wired wrong, or maybe there is a shut-down delay. Any ideas of this switch was correctly operating. It is called an Aqua Guard.

Thanks

Gene

Scott Patterson
11-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Yet….another ……float switch question.

My method of testing these float switches is to lift up on the switch while keeping my hand on the small AC line. Most of the ones I have seen (one new houses at least) is that the switch shuts down the outside condenser unit. So my test is to touch the small line and feel for the vibration of the flowing refrigerant and then lift the switch. When my hand feels the vibration stop, I know the flow of refrigerant has stopped, and the outside unit has shut down. That simple test usually goes as planned on new houses, but today the vibration did not stop on both of the units at the house. So now I don’t know if it is wired wrong, or maybe there is a shut-down delay. Any ideas of this switch was correctly operating. It is called an Aqua Guard.

Thanks

Gene

If the float switch did not shut down the condenser unit then the switch is not working properly. It be broke!

Jim Luttrall
11-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Are you sure it is a float switch and not a water sensor?
If it is a float then I agree with Scott.

Brian Robertson
11-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Checking there website it's quite likely a water sensor

Nolan Kienitz
11-10-2010, 08:29 AM
It's a "water sensor" ... not a float switch.

As Brian noted.

Gene South
11-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Hey guys, thanks. I have run across this brand of float sensor 3 times this year on new construction. There is a vertical moving cylinder/sensor on the unit, and unless I am crazy, it should shut down the condenser when lifted by my finger. I am pretty sure that on another house I was able to lift the "floating sensor" up with my finger to shut down the condenser but on this house, doing the same test did not shut down the condenser. It appears to not be a "static device" but rather has a moving (floating?) sensor built in. That is the part I lifted with my finger. Thanks.

David Bell
11-11-2010, 05:34 AM
The picture shows a float switch. The best way to wire these is to break R, this will shut down the whole system and alert the homeowner to a problem.