PDA

View Full Version : EIFS

Bruce Hutton
11-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I have an inspection scheduled tomorrow The home is of EIFS construction. I run across 1 of these about every 2 years.
I am pretty familiar with flashings / sealants etc.
I refer clients to EIMA - Guide to exterior finish system construction
when I come across these houses.
http://www.eima.com/pdfs/EIMA%20CGuide%20final_VA_Web.pdf

I always print out the installation guideline & generally have 1-2 of these in my travel file that I can give to clients at any given time.

What do you guys do & what guidlines do you go by?

Are there more stringent guidlines than EIMA.

I am very nervous about this EIFS...should I be?

Any help / advice would be greatly apopreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Bruce

Scott Patterson
11-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I have an inspection scheduled tomorrow The home is of EIFS construction. I run across 1 of these about every 2 years.
I am pretty familiar with flashings / sealants etc.
I refer clients to EIMA - Guide to exterior finish system construction
when I come across these houses.
http://www.eima.com/pdfs/EIMA%20CGuide%20final_VA_Web.pdf

I always print out the installation guideline & generally have 1-2 of these in my travel file that I can give to clients at any given time.

What do you guys do & what guidlines do you go by?

Are there more stringent guidlines than EIMA.

I am very nervous about this EIFS...should I be?

Any help / advice would be greatly apopreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Bruce

EIMA guidelines are what you should use when the manufacturer is unknown. They are generic but they cover just about everything.

You should consider deferring the EIFS to another inspector who has more experience with it. There are many types of EIFS and similar looking systems. Just telling your client to look at the EIMA guidelines does not do much for them. I would say that around 98% of the EIFS homes have some type of problem.

Fred Comb
11-16-2010, 07:32 PM
If you are being asked to evaluate EIFS and you don't have experience with evaluating EIFS it may be wise to be nervous.

EIFS seems to be a product that is misunderstood by many installers, contractors and inspectors.

Do you have moisture testing equipment suitable for testing sheathing behind EIFS? If not, you may be wise to defer the evaluation to another inspector who has EIFS expertise. Maybe one who lives near you and reads this will respond here?

matt faust
11-16-2010, 10:36 PM
My advice to you is - don't do it.

Use the opportunity to motivate yourself to become an EIFS expert.
Many knowledgable inspectors have been motivated by just such circumstances.
Defer to a fellow inspector and go as a ride along.

Always listen to you inner voice.....
How many times have you been driving home from an inspection, and have this
funny feeling, then as soon as you pull in your driveway, "Oh, I forgot to
inspect the ..........you can inspect the next EIFS system.

mf:cool:

Bruce Hutton
11-17-2010, 04:53 AM
Thanks Guys - You input means alot!

I dont have the correct equipment to test the EIFS...I havent done one yet that I had not reffered it out to a certified EIFS inspector.
Our closet guys is about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs away...To the best of my knowledge.

The last house I inspected that had EIFS had $38,000 in repairs by a certified company & the client ended up buying a moisture warranty.

I like to have the guide on hand & I can point out a couple of issues with the client & show them why I am reffering it out to a certified EIFS inspector.

I have only seen this stuff 4-5 times in 7 1/2 years as an inspector.

Matt...Not to disagree but I just cant find enough motivation with this EIFS to want to be the expert in this field.

I really dont like this stuff as you can tell! :eek:

I would tend to agree with Scott - 98% have problems...Thats what make me nervous.

Thanks for your replies guys the help is appreciated!!!!

Scott Patterson
11-17-2010, 07:17 AM
FYI, by learning about EIFS you will also learn about water infiltration into structures. I can't tell you how much you will learn and how it relates to other cladding's on homes and buildings.

EDI had one if not the best education programs.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
11-17-2010, 10:16 AM
hope this helps alittle

cvf

Bruce Hutton
11-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks again...Charlie the illustrations are great!
It is very appreciated!

BH

Lisa Endza
11-19-2010, 05:19 AM
Here are some free tips for inspecting EIFS Stucco/EIFS Inspection Tips - InterNACHI (http://www.nachi.org/stucco-eifs-tips.htm) The video is open and free to all.

And here is the entire online video course Stucco & EIFS Training and Certification Course: - InterNACHI (http://www.nachi.org/stucco-eifs.htm)