PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use this combo GFCI-AFCI tester

Gene South
11-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Anyone use this combo GFCI-AFCI tester ? Can anyone comment as to the cost and durability? Appears to be a decent unit..

Dan Harris
11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Anyone use this combo GFCI-AFCI tester ? Can anyone comment as to the cost and durability? Appears to be a decent unit..

I've been using this unit for 3 plus years. Cost. I believe it was $100 ish, bought it from Nick @ Inspector Essesionals [Sp?] a vender /advertizer on this site.
There is some discussion about not using the tester for testing ARC Fault circuits, I believe it was on this site.

Nolan Kienitz
11-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Only accepted test for AFCIs is the button on the breaker in the SEP.

Only accepted test for GFCIs is the button on the receptacle.

All the tools are slick gizmo's, but as far as I know are not accepted by the manufacturer's as acceptable testing methods.

BTW - I have had one and other models of the Ideal product for many years. They hold up pretty good.

This testing unit gets very high marks from many well respected electrical consultants around the U.S.

Tasco Inspector II (http://www.tasco-usa.com/ins2.htm)

JB Thompson
11-26-2010, 11:31 PM
I have the 61-059 which also tests for open neutrals. Also have the 61-065 which is bigger/bulkier and tests more than I care to know. I believe I paid $150 (?) for my 059.

The 059 (same size as yours) is handy and I like it. I takes lots of abuse.

I figured that the buttons on the GFCI and AFCI were the only ones acceptable, but I've had several GFCI's that tripped at the button but weren't wired properly - my own home as one example - and the 059 picked up on it.

Rick Vernon
11-27-2010, 08:41 AM
There was recall on several models as was posted by Michael Thomas 8-13-08
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/tools-equipment/9148-ideal-61-059-61-165-tester-upgrade.html
I sent mine in and had the upgrade.
I don't use mine all the time because its bulky compared to the 3 light pocket testers, but find it useful at times.
You can download the owners manuals on line. Much discussion about 5% voltage drop and outside our area in the archives of this site.

Randy Aldering
11-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Gene, Ideal makes some good test equipment, and their customer / warranty service is second to none based on my experience. The circuit testers offered by Ideal are very useful for detecting electrical wiring problems that might otherwise go undetected. The faulty GFCI wiring is one example. Another is excessive voltage drop, which is some times the result of poor connections. Poor connections = heat, and heat+fuel+oxygen = fire in the right combination. It never hurts to exceed SOP, and your clients will appreciate it.