PDA

View Full Version : Story of 2 water heaters...with photos

Gene South
11-30-2010, 05:10 AM
House build in 1982. One water heater original and the other installed with gas valves on the water supply lines.

Water Heater # 1: Serial number indicates 1982 and coincides with date when home was constructed (1982). Water heater still in service and was functioning with no observable sediment in tank and no corrosion on connections. Photo of manufacture plate. This means a 28 year old water heater.

Water Heater # 2: Gas valves used on water lines. Sears Model water heater. Compare gas line valve to "water valves"

Just FYI. Both flagged on report.

John Arnold
11-30-2010, 05:45 AM
...no observable sediment in tank....

Gene - How do you observe sediment, or lack of same, in the tank?

Ted Menelly
11-30-2010, 06:44 AM
One thing I am blown away by is the jumper from the cold to the hot water line. To date, since I moved to TX and the hundreds of inspections a year for over six years have not seen a jumper wire on any water heater lines yet. I meant to ask this question to TX home inspectors a very long time ago......Do any of you see jumpers from the two water lines? I have yet to see one in TX.

Gene South
11-30-2010, 07:08 AM
John, to try and observe sediment, I fill two side-by-side kitchen or bathrom sinks with water. One cold sink and one hot water sink. Pretty simple "stare-and-compare" test. Found lots of them this way. The stained water is usually not noticable just by running the water from the tap.

Ted, yes I have seen the hot water jumpers on occasion, though not often.

John Arnold
11-30-2010, 07:34 AM
John, to try and observe sediment, I fill two side-by-side kitchen or bathrom sinks with water. One cold sink and one hot water sink. Pretty simple "stare-and-compare" test. Found lots of them this way. The stained water is usually not noticable just by running the water from the tap....

Thanks Gene. Interesting. I've never heard of such a procedure.

Rick Hurst
11-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Gene,

You don't state on your reports that "no observable sediment" at the water heater, do you?

If so, why?

rick

Gene South
11-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Hi Rick, I just report obvious sediment if and when I see it. I always do the sink test but don't mention it unless I see a problem.