PDA

View Full Version : When did code require vents in bathrooms

Jeff Zehnder
12-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Can anyone remember when (or if) the code required either an operating window or a vent for a bathroom. Just inspected a home built in 1965 and the bath had no window or vent so I wrote it up and the seller is asking when this was required (what year).

I assumed it was always required but I do not want to make those kinds of assumptions.

Can anyone help?

Scott Patterson
12-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Can anyone remember when (or if) the code required either an operating window or a vent for a bathroom. Just inspected a home built in 1965 and the bath had no window or vent so I wrote it up and the seller is asking when this was required (what year).

I assumed it was always required but I do not want to make those kinds of assumptions.

Can anyone help?

I couldn't tell you how far back, but it is common sense to have one. It really should not matter when they were required, you just noted that the bathroom did not have one. We can't require anyting, all we can do is to recommend.

Fred Comb
12-03-2010, 05:09 PM

Can anyone help?

Jeff,
Bath ventilation has not "always" been required. Code requirements began to appear in the 70's , and required either a window or fan then later fan regardless of window.

Ted Menelly
12-03-2010, 07:34 PM

Can anyone help?

Since Uncle Fred use to come to visit decades ago and gassed out the home every time he used the bathroom. I would say, back in the 50s :p