PDA

View Full Version : Copper Gas line

neal lewis
07-22-2007, 08:30 PM
First time I've run into sweated copper tubing for gas. Usually it's with a flare fitting.
I thought I read recently that this is not allowed. (Couldn't find the thread.)

Eric Shuman
07-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Neal,

Copper pipe for natural gas lines may or not be allowed in your jurisdiction, depending upon the amount of sulphur contained in the gas which can corrode the copper. It is not allowed wher I am in central Texas.

If I understand correctly, brazed fittings are allowed (but once again you should check with the local building authority to see if it is allowed) as long as the brazing material used has a melting point in excess of 1000F degrees and does not contain more than .05% phosphorus. (and as long as the copper is allowed in your area.) I am basing this on the 2003 IRC.

Eric

BARRY ADAIR
07-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Neal,

That appears to be plumbing copper pipe and fittings, probably not approved for any type of gas usage.
I'd call it out.

Copper pipe is never sweated/soldered with gas. It is brazed, or mechanical connections, if local code allows.

A specific type of copper tubing is allowed under certain circumstances by the AHJ for natural gas. I've seen brazed copper before but it's not a nationally recognized method of joining gas pipe but could be locally. Compression fittings are no good for gas too prone to leaking. Flare fittings are good under certain circumstances.

The best way to go IMHO is rigid iron pipe with pipe dope. If you ever see Teflon tape it is not approved for gas unless it's yellow. White tape is not for gas.
I'd call this out also.

M Kelekci
07-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Neal,

That appears to be plumbing copper pipe and fittings, probably not approved for any type of gas usage.
I'd call it out.

What was the give away? What are the major differences between plumbing copper pipe and gas line copper pipe?

Sometimes, I am seeing copper lines tapping in where the gas meter is to feed exterior gas fixtures ( lights, BBQ Grill etc). Do you all write this up?

Copper pipe is never sweated/soldered with gas. It is brazed, or mechanical connections, if local code allows.

How can you tell if the gas copper pipe is soldered or brazed?

Thanks,

Eric Shuman
07-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Neal,

That is good advice from Barry. I should have mentioned that I would still call it out as a repair as it is true that it is not common (at least on any houses I have inspected) to use any copper fittings like the ones shown.

Eric

BARRY ADAIR
07-23-2007, 09:54 AM
What was the give away? What are the major differences between plumbing copper pipe and gas line copper pipe?

Sometimes, I am seeing copper lines tapping in where the gas meter is to feed exterior gas fixtures ( lights, BBQ Grill etc). Do you all write this up?

How can you tell if the gas copper pipe is soldered or brazed?

Thanks,

All the copper gas tubing that I've seen is labeled and roll material not rigid like plumbing pipe in the pic.
Fuel Gas: Specifying Copper Tube (http://www.copper.org/applications/fuelgas/rg-specifying.html)

Yes, if not protected from impact damage, which it usually isn't.

Braze as a general rule is not rough and puddled (unwiped) as depicted.
Most of what I've seen and done has been brass color.