PDA

View Full Version : Flue Overlap Wrong?

Mike Pearson
07-22-2007, 08:48 PM
As I peeked up the chimney flue from the damper area, I saw what appeared to be the flue overlapped the wrong way. As I understand it there should be no seam viewable as you look up, as this is a place for hot gasses to escape as they go up! Am I correct or is my common sense off a bit?:confused:

Mike
S. Fla

Dom D'Agostino
07-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Is the flue offset, or is it disconnected? Hard to tell from the photo.

Dom.

Mike Pearson
07-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Offset

Mike

Dale W. Feb
07-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Mike,

This appears to be an Isokern Fireplace assembled on site. This fireplace is a sectional block system that was built in place. The flat sheet metal is an anchor plate that is attached to the top of the fireplace. All interior sections of these chimney systems will face down, (male down into female).

However, the first section of this pipe does not run vertical to the anchor plate starter section. If you look closely, the metal appears to angle out at about a 45-degree. This condition could have been created at the time of installation or resulted from a lack of support on the chimney system. Regardless of the cause, this installation is incorrect and should be repaired prior to use.

Fuel for thought,

Mike Pearson
07-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Thanks Dale!

I think I comprehended all that:) . The bottom line is a report a problem with the flue and told them repairs are needed before use, by a licensed fireplace contractor.
PS
I signed up on your web site. When your class comes close to south Florida a will attend and encourage all of our Gulfstream ASHI members to also do so.

Thanks So Much
Mike Pearson
President - Gulfstream Chapter ASHI

Dale W. Feb
07-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Mike,

We can bring our eight-hour Fireplace & the Home Inspector class to you any time you like. You don’t have to wait. You can contact our office for more details.

(805) 552-9958 or FireService@earthlink.net

Thank you

Michael Thomas
07-27-2007, 04:07 AM
Dale,

Thanks for taking the time to post the many replies you do here, there is so much (for me, anyway, to learn about these systems.

One question: found the installation instructions here,

http://www.isokern.net/pages/pdfs/manual_mag.pdf ,

the discussion of offset flues starts on page 43.

As I read the instructions, you can start an offset immediately; "An offset chimney block can be set as the first flue component on top of the MAGNUM smoke dome... Offset sequences are best when built as low as possible in the chimney run to maximize performance."

Or, were you saying that the offset is OK there, but based on the picture Mike posted, there is a problem with the alignment, or some other aspect of the installation?

Dale W. Feb
07-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Sorry, this is difficult to explain on a message board. Look to the bottom left of the contact where the chimney pipe meets the Isokern fireplace. See how the metal bends and projects in towards the center of the chimney pipe? This should not look like this. The pipe (the visible metal flange) should be vertical with the chimney section (starter section) of the anchor plate. Either the chimney pipe has been installed at an incorrect angle or there is a large amount of pressure (due to the weight of the chimney pipe) applied.

Does this make sense? I am trying my best with text.

Michael Thomas
07-28-2007, 04:39 AM
Thanks. It's easy to see once you know what you are looking for - I was looking further up the flue, at the offset itself.

Mike Pearson
07-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Hey Mike,

Thats where I was looking as well.

Mike P
S. FLA