PDA

View Full Version : French Drain Requirements

K. Smith
12-20-2010, 07:02 PM
What kind of contractor license is required for installation of a French drain? Is a permit required (CA)? Was reading about using perforated pipe - can that be a PVC pipe with some punched holes ?

Gunnar Alquist
12-20-2010, 10:01 PM
What kind of contractor license is required for installation of a French drain? Is a permit required (CA)? Was reading about using perforated pipe - can that be a PVC pipe with some punched holes ?

Since there is no specific drainage contractor (that I know of), you would probably use a landscape contractor or a general contractor. If the project is large enough, it might be a general engineering contractor. There is a lot of information on the web.

In my area, you do not need to pull a permit to take a shower or change a light bulb. Pretty much anything else requires a permit. I would bet that a permit is required, but in many areas, something like that might not be rigorously enforced.

The pipe that I like to use is perforated HDPE. It is generally white on the exterior and black on the interior. This stuff is pretty affordable and does not need to be glued together, just press-fit. I cannot imagine wanting to spend the time to punch holes in PVC, but if you really want to...

http://www.ads-pipe.com/pdf/en/ADS_Product_Catalog_06-07.pdf
#0352 - 0010 (about 1/3 down the page)

Don't forget to use drainage fabric to filter out the silt/sediment so the drain does not become clogged. You can also get the flexible drainage tubing with a drainage sock already installed.

Scott Patterson
12-21-2010, 07:11 AM

This might give you an idea.

Vern Heiler
12-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Note: holes go down!

Wayne Carlisle
12-21-2010, 12:19 PM
The only time we require a permit is when you have to punch through the curb to get the drain into the gutter. The permit is not actually for the french drain but to ensure the city curb and gutter are not destroyed so it does not perform it's intended use.

Ian Page
12-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Under CA Business and Professions Code Section 7055, the required Contractors Lic for drainage systems falls under C61 -Limited Speciality Class, subsection D12- Synthetic Products Contractor, which amongst other installations also includes (d)... Installation of PVC piping systems for drainage (and subsurface irrigation systems). It makes no specific mention regarding 'French Drains' . However it largely depends on how much work is involved and whether a Landscaping license would be required also. If the work is extensive and connecting to any public authority drainage system (including gutters), a local permit may be needed. You do not need a contractors license to do the work yourself on your own property or if the total value does not exceed $500 (time and material). Having said that, if you plan on hiring someone make sure they know what they are doing.

ip

Michael Thomas
12-22-2010, 05:21 AM
For a residential system, what standard would the AHJ inspect to?