PDA

View Full Version : RAINHANDLER vs. Traditional Gutters

Phil Lanier
07-23-2007, 03:39 PM
I’m designing a gutter system around my new home and was wondering if anyone has ever seen or know of the good and bad of the RAINHANDLER style gutterless system? With almost 2700 home inspections, I've seen maybe 5 houses with them installed. I’m considering installing them only on one side of the house where there are lot's of trees, no flat work however there will be a retaining wall due to the height of the house pad. Living in South Texas, I’m not worried about ice. Traditional gutters will go elsewhere around the home. Just wanted to get some insight. Or is there a better system?

Thanks,
Phil

Rick Hurst
07-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Pigeons love them.

I have a friend who had them, but took them down because of all the birds roosting on them at night. The waste on the ground from all the birds was sickening to have to smell.

I'd just considering installing the larger size guttering with the leave guard in them or the one that has the guard type device over the guttering that catches just the water and not the debris. I forget at the moment what they are called.

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

Dom D'Agostino
07-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Rick,

You're thinking of the gutter helmet:

Rick Hurst
07-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Thats the one.

Thanks Dom!

Jerry Peck
07-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Notice how easy that Gutter Helmut slipped up underneath that first course shingle? You know, the one which should be sealed down? :D

BARRY ADAIR
07-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Rick,

I take care of some properties for some folks who have these and I have to try and get them cleared twice a year as with any gutter system, the small stuff builds up to big stuff. The problem is unless you almost remove them they are hard to clean. I have convinced and converted one client to the black magic type pads with good results. If they do get clogged take them out and hose them off.

James Duffin
07-23-2007, 06:05 PM
These are the best gutter guards I have seen.

http://www.alcoa.com/alcoahomes/Products/Rain/productCollectionDetail.aspx?productGroup=352&productCategory=5&productBrandId=43

Rick Hurst
07-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Barry,

Are you talking of the rain handler or the gutter helmet?

Phillip Stojanik
07-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Be wary of mixing the types of gutter systems you use around the house. You may end up watering around the foundation unevenly which could come back to haunt you down the road.

BARRY ADAIR
07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Barry,

Are you talking of the rain handler or the gutter helmet?

Rick,

Helmet

Here is the type I'm talking about for 5-6" gutter self install in as much time as it takes to walk the roof or move the ladder.
Black Magic Gutter Screens - 247gutterprotection.com - We Stop Everything But The Rain! Black Magic Filters, GPI Products (http://www.247gutterprotection.com/catalog/black-magic-gutter-screens-c-228.html?osCsid=e531e2877dd3f35ec8158816ff4d03c0)

I've seen the Alcoa but have no experience with them except inspecting. They look nice.

Rick Hurst
07-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Barry,

Are you installing those on the side or just for the people you know. I know folks who would be interested in those.

BARRY ADAIR
07-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Barry,

Are you installing those on the side or just for the people you know. I know folks who would be interested in those.

Everything is negotiable.