PDA

View Full Version : Shower ceiling clearances

Dominick Laurita
12-22-2010, 07:19 PM
What is the minimum ceiling height in a shower with a sloped ceiling along the back long wall. The ceiling height in an attic bathroom is 7'. The tub/shower is set in an alcove that has as a partial sloped ceiling. From the back long wall the ceiling is about 60" above the tub rim and sloped up. From the center drain to the ceiling is 7'.

Jerry Peck
12-22-2010, 07:30 PM
From the IRC:
- R305.1 Minimum height. Habitable rooms, hallways, corridors, bathrooms, toilet rooms, laundry rooms and basements shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134 mm). The required height shall be measured from the finish floor to the lowest projection from the ceiling.
- - Exceptions:

- - - 1. Beams and girders spaced not less than 4 feet (1219 mm) on center may project not more than 6 inches (152 mm) below the required ceiling height.
- - - 2. Ceilings in basements without habitable spaces may project to within 6 feet, 8 inches (2032 mm) of the finished floor; and beams, girders, ducts or other obstructions may project to within 6 feet 4 inches (1931 mm) of the finished floor.
- - - 3. For rooms with sloped ceilings, at least 50 percent of the required floor area of the room must have a ceiling height of at least 7 feet (2134 mm) and no portion of the required floor area may have a ceiling height of less than 5 feet (1524 mm).
- - - 4. Bathrooms shall have a minimum ceiling height of 6 feet 8 inches (2036 mm) over the fixture and at the front clearance area for fixtures as shown in Figure R307.1. A shower or tub equipped with a showerhead shall have a minimum ceiling height of 6 feet 8 inches (2036 mm) above a minimum area 30 inches (762 mm) by 30 inches (762 mm) at the showerhead.

"The tub/shower is set in an alcove that has as a partial sloped ceiling. From the back long wall the ceiling is about 60" above the tub rim and sloped up. From the center drain to the ceiling is 7'."

Is there at least 30" by 30" in front of the shower head which has a ceiling height of at least 6'8"? Doesn't sound like it from your description. but you did not say if the ceiling sloped continuously over the tub/shower or if there was a flat area and then a slope.

Also, "60" above the tub rim" does not tell how much headroom/ceiling height is above the tub floor (and measuring above the tub floor is what counts).

H.G. Watson, Sr.
12-23-2010, 03:18 PM
What is the minimum ceiling height in a shower with a sloped ceiling along the back long wall. The ceiling height in an attic bathroom is 7'. The tub/shower is set in an alcove that has as a partial sloped ceiling. From the back long wall the ceiling is about 60" above the tub rim and sloped up. From the center drain to the ceiling is 7'.

First I'm going to tell you what I've gleaned from your post, and reference the NJ Code and subcodes. Second, when in doubt ask your local office.

I also respectfully disagree with the prior post, it is the height above the finished bathroom floor which is relevant as to required clearances and ceiling height, unless you have an elevated standing area for the shower/tub clearance area that is greater than 4" above the finished bathroom floor.

Since neither the unammended IRC nor its plumbing chapters nor figure R307.1 (expressly deleted) of the IRC apply in NJ. I'll throw out the current language that does assuming this is a single or two family dwelling, not a rooming house, or host of other possiblities, which AFAIK is the current code until 3/2011.

Of course you'd have to know when the bath/shower was put in place. Older codes and subcodes would have been applicable THEN as opposed to now (new construction).

From your description it seems you have a bathtub (you mentioned "tub rim" with an overhead shower, or a combination bath/shower, although perhaps you have a pre-manufactured shower compartment with shower receptor?

Also no mention was made of glazing, windows, skylights, shower doors, etc. Assuming no glazing in the sloped roof or shower/tub compartment
area or adjacent.

Next it is a bit confusing as to the wall height from the finished floor (NOT THE TUB standing surface or drain height, despite what a previous poster has asserted) to the ceiling is at its lowest point in the tub/shower compartment, or the tub rim height above the finished floor of the bathroom.

I'm taking it that the lowest ceiling height is at the far end of the tub and it is at least 60" above the flood rim of the tub at its lowest point and slopes upward towards the shower area as well as upwards towards the rest of the bathroom, is that correct? If the entire long wall of the tub is of the same height above the bathroom floor, what is that height?
A picture and/or diagram would be very helpful, otherwise more information and/or clarification please.

It has not been mentioned if there is an enclosure to the tub/shower compartment, nor if the tub/shower is a prefabricated one, or if a built-in tub with field-fabricated tile finished walls, etc. If enclosed - a minimum 30" diameter sphere must fit within the shower compartment and maintain ceiling clearances and wall finish heights from the bathroom floor (not tub or shower pan floor).

I am going to assume that since a tub was mentioned, that the tub, as a shower receptor has a minimum overall dimension of 60" in length, therefore allowing a minimum overall width of 30" (however this would not provide for enclosure with say shower doors); otherwise the minimum overall width becomes 32".

IF the tub/shower has an installed fixed shower head (as opposed to a shower wand) then a measurement above the drain is in order as to determining the tiled or impervious finish on the walls of the compartment. In this case that would be A minimum of 68" above the drain.

Furthermore that wall finish must extend to a minimum of 6 feet (72") above the height of the finished floor of the bathroom for the dimensions of the tub/shower receptacle. This means that if the drain of the shower compartment is at a 4" or greater elevation above the finished floor of the room - 68" above the drain height/shower compartment "floor" to wall surface finish height is the rule. If the drain and standing portion inside the tub/shower compartment height is less than 4" above the finished floor than the height from the finished floor (72") rules as to minimum height of wall finish for the shower/compartment area.

Note that's minimum height of wall finish requirements, not ceiling or sloped ceiling finish, i.e. if there is a fixed shower the ceiling sloped or otherwise may not "invade" the footprint of the tub/shower minimum clearance/use area dimensions (the sphere/cross sectional area).

Presuming that the "tub rim" is at least 12" above the drain, and that drain opening elevation is equal to or above the finished room floor finish your 60" above the rim appears adequate to provide for the required wall finish height above the drain/shower/tub compartment wall finish height.

The required ceiling height from the finished floor is required for a 24" deep minimum clear footprint in front of the shower compartment as well. (Fig. 7.3.2 of the plumbing subcode). This can get "dicey" if a water closet is for example across and w/in 21" but is restricting the minimal area required for the shower use sphere within the tub if you have a sloping ceiling that encroaches on the other end of the tub height at the point where there is a 24" deep clear access - then you don't have the required height - IOW the access to and through the shower "zone" has to provide the minimum ceiling height without interuption, except for a beam, etc. hope that makes sense, perhaps I should make a drawing.

Presuming that rim height is at least 12" above the drain, and that the tub itself is installed at or above finished floor height - it would seem the lowest ceiling height above the tub/shower footprint beyond the minimum clearance 30" sphere zone or 30" square zone for the shower "area" is 72". As long as the 30" sphere zone within the tub and the 24"x24" minimum clearance outside the tub wall maintains a ceiling clearance of 6'8" above the floor of the bathroom, and at least 72" (6') above the tub/drain floor for those areas beyond the required "clearance" space within the shower area of the "tub" you're okay. It also seems that the lowest ceiling slope height which does not cover a fixture access, cleaning or use clearance area is 5' above the finished bathroom floor.

NJ ammendments to the NSPC:

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/pdf_regs_former/njac_5_23_3_grace.pdf
http://secure.naphcc.org/video/2009NSPCNonIllustratedWeb.pdf
w/technical amendments at NJAC 5:23-3.15

Chapter 7 of the plumbing subcode, entitled Plumbing Fixtures, fixture fittings and plumbing appliances shall be amended as follows:
Section 7.2 is amended to read Plumbing fixtures for accessible use and their installation shall conform to the requirements of N.J..A.C. 5:23-7 et. seq."

Figure 7.3.2 is amended to delete the word "Code" and substitute in lieu thereof "Subcode" in the block at bottom.

2.20.2 Locaiton of piping and fixtures
Piping, fixtures, or equipment shall not be located in such a manner as to interfere with the normal operation of windows, doors, or other exit openings.

Figure 7.3.2
MINIMUM FIXTURE CLEARANCES
Showers 24" clearance in front of opening/access.

Note Box: The clear height between ceilings and floors shall comply to the requirement of the Building Subcode.

21" clearance in front of water closet to tub side wall, not restricting access, 12" OC clearance from centerline of water closet to open side wall of tub, residental.

7.8 BATHTUBS

7.8.1 Compliance
-a. Bathtubs shall comply with the following standards:
--1. Plastic, cultured marble and other synthetic products or finishes; ANSI Z124.1
--2. Enameled cast-iron; ASME A112.19.1
--3. Enameled steel; ASME A112.19.4
--4. Bathtubs with pressure sealed doors; ASME A112.19.15

7.8.3 Combination Bath/Showers
Shower heads, including the hand-held type, shall be designed and manufactured so that they will not exceed a water supply flow rate of 2.5 gallons per minute when tested in accordance with ASME A112.18.1/CSA B125.1. The control of mixed water temperatures to bath/shower combinations shall comply with Section 10.15.6. Surrounding wall construction shall be in accordance with Section 7.10.5. Riser pipes to shower heads shall be secured in accordance with Section 7.10.7.

7.10 SHOWERS

7.10.1 Compliance
Plastic shower receptors and stalls shall comply with ANSI Z124.2

7.10.5 Shower Compartments
-a. The minimum outside rough-in dimension for shower bases and prefabricated shower compartments shall be 32 inches except where a shower receptor has a minimum overall dimension of 30 inches (750 mm) in width and 60 inches (1,500 mm) in length.
-b. The minimum rough-in depth for prefabricated tub/shower combinations shall be 30 inches.
-c. Where shower compartments have glass enclosures or field-constructed tile walls, the compartment shall provide clearance for a 30 inch diameter circle with the door closed.
-d. The walls in shower compartments and above built-in bathtubs having installed shower heads shall be constructed of smooth, non-corrosive, non-absorbent waterproof materials that extend to a height of not less than 68 inches above the fixture drain.
-e. The joints between walls and with bathtubs and shower compartment floors shall be water-tight.

New Jersey Residential (Sub)code (IRC 2006 with NJ ammendments at
w/technical amendments at NJAC 5:23-3which if I'm following correctly still in effect through 3/2011) include:

In Section R307.1, Space required, "Figure R307.1" shall be deleted and "Figure 7.3.2 of the plumbing subcode, entitled "Minimum Fixture Clearances" shall be inserted. In addition, Figure R307.1 shall be deleted in its entirety.

Chapters 25 through 32 shall be deleted in their entirety. Plumbing requirements under the scope of this subcode shall be regulated by the plumbing subcode.

NJ Residential Code

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newjersey/NJ_Residential/Residential_Frameset.htm

Section R305
CEILING HEIGHT
R305.1 Minimum height. Habital rooms, hallways, corridors, bathrooms, toilet rooms, laundry rooms and basements shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134 mm). The required height shall be measured from the finish floor to the lowest projection from the ceiling.
-Exceptions:
-1. Beams and girders spaced not less than 4 feet (1219 mm) on center may project not more than 6 inches (152 mm) below the required ceiling height.
-2. Ceilings in basements without habital spaces may project to within 6 feet, 8 inches (2032 mm) of the finished floor; and beams, girders, ducts or other obstructions may project to within 6 feet 4 inches (1931 mm) of the finished floor.
-3. For rooms with sloped ceilings, at least 50 percent of the required floor area of the room must have a ceiling height of at least 7 feet (2134 mm) and no portion of the required floor area may have a ceiling height of less than 5 feet (1524 mm).
-4. Bathrooms shall have a minimum ceiling height of 6 feet 8 inches (2036 mm) over the fixture and at the front clearance area for fixtures as shown in Figure 7.3.2 of the plumbing subcode, entitled "Minimum Fixture Clearances." A shower or tub equipped with a showerhead shall have a minimum ceiling height of 6 feet 8 inches (2036 mm) above a minimum area 30 inches (762 mm) by 30 inches (762 mm) at the showerhead.

(My note: That's a height above the finished bathroom floor not height above the tub or shower receptor standing surface).

Section R307

TOILET, BATH AND SHOWER SPACES

R307.1 Space required. Fixtures shall be spaced as per Figure 7.3.2 of the plumbing subcode, entitled "Minimum Fixture Clearances."

R307.2 Bathtub and shower spaces. Bathtub and shower floors and walls above bathtubs with installed shower heads and in shower compartments shall be finished with a nonabsorbent surface. Such wall surfaces shall extend to a height of not less than 6 feet (1829 mm) above the floor.

HTH.

P.S. In summary, 72" above finished floor in those areas above the tub where not required for access to, or use of shower clearance if required compartment finish wall surfacing materials are at least 68" above the shower compartment or tub standing surface and/or drain. Otherwise 80" from finished bathroom floor, excepting conforming beam, etc. encroachments.

Joe Klampfer
12-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Sheesh HG.... You could've saved youself a whole lotta trouble because I don't think anyone cares enough to waste 30 minutes of their life to read all that crap you posted.

I know I don't give a rats ass, but thought someone should tell you, more is not always better!

I'm sure reading one of your inspection reports must be a real hoot.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
12-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Sheesh HG.... You could've saved youself a whole lotta trouble because I don't think anyone cares enough to waste 30 minutes of their life to read all that crap you posted.

I know I don't give a rats ass, but thought someone should tell you, more is not always better!

I'm sure reading one of your inspection reports must be a real hoot.

I don't know why as a Canadian you'd ever give anything to know what the requirements are in New Jersey, one of two areas which uses the NSPC (national standard plumbing code) and ammends its version of the IRC, anyway!?!

I've learned, especially when another has already made statements which either do not apply to the jurisdiction, or to which I disagree as to their conclusions, if I don't back up with the language of the jurisdictional code, there are those who will carry on and on with argument and such.

When a post as mine above is complete with references as to the applicable code and it is applied, there are also those like YOU, who lacking any on-topic contribution to the subject matter, resort to off-topic personal and vulgar remarks. How very sad for you.

It isn't an easy answer without specifics from the OP. However the post before mine was IMO incorrect. Due to the timing of the post and my own personal schedule, I chose to provide ALL the relevant language and references, citations, and links to what I believed was applicable and relevant to the OP's presented question so that the OP or anyone else for
that matter, so inclined could reference for themselves.

I have no idea if the OP's bathroom ceiling has more than one slope or plane. no diagrams, pictures were provided and the "word picture" is rather "fuzzy".

If you don't like my posts, or the information contained therein, you are welcome to SKIP reading them. The personal and vulgar references are unwelcome.

Billy Stephens
12-23-2010, 07:00 PM
thought someone should tell you, .
Ah Joe, :D
YouTube - R. Lee Ermey GEICO Commercial - Therapist Sarge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA)