PDA

View Full Version : nuisance condensate

John Arnold
01-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Photo shows intake and exhaust from a condensing furnace, directly above a patio/deck area. Doesn't this seem like a lousy location? Even if the exhaust pipe is sloped back toward the unit, which it appears to be, I'd still expect some dripping of condensate outside. I didn't see any during the inspection, but still ...

Markus Keller
01-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I would also guess its going to drip at some time. Under typical layout the garage entry would be underneath the picture area. Is that the case here? If so I'd mention the drip possibility in relation to a car being parked under the pipes, could damage the paint.

John Arnold
01-02-2011, 11:57 AM
I would also guess its going to drip at some time. Under typical layout the garage entry would be underneath the picture area. Is that the case here? If so I'd mention the drip possibility in relation to a car being parked under the pipes, could damage the paint.

Thanks Markus.

No, the garage is at the front of the house, this is the rear. It's a combination back yard, patio and deck below the pipes. I'm concerned about people getting dripped on. There's also intake and exhaust (not in the photo) from a condensing tankless water heater over the same area.

Bob Elliott
01-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Why would it be expected to drip if the schedule 40 is correctly angled at 1'4" per foot towards the unit as it should be.
OK take that back as they still drip some.
I see much worse locations however (above A/C condensers and in gangways)(noise) though I look at that balcony and wonder how they got the slope in and how the temp even if lower than a regular B vent might effect what I assume is concrete.

Don Murphy
01-03-2011, 06:27 PM
I'd be more concerned with people sitting on the deck breathing the exhaust! There likely is a code for that issue. Anybody?

John Arnold
01-03-2011, 06:29 PM
I'd be more concerned with people sitting on the deck breathing the exhaust! There likely is a code for that issue. Anybody?

Given that the tankless water heater is about 200K BTU, that might be a good point, too.

Bob Elliott
01-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Clearance under veranda, porch deck, or
balcony
12 inches (30 cm) ‡