PDA

View Full Version : Warm switch

Ernie Simpson
01-05-2011, 09:13 AM
I did an inspection on a garden style condo yesterday, building five years old. There was a Lutron switch in the hallway that served five recessed lights in the kitchen. No dimmer (which was unusual). The face plate was fairly warm (measured 96 degrees with a laser thermometer). Adjacent switch controlling just one light was 72 degrees. Took plate off, no evidence of overheating or scorching of the wires.
Is this a problem? Flagged it but unsure if the temp rise could be normal with an extended use of the recessed lights?
Any comments?
Ernie Simpson

Scott Patterson
01-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I did an inspection on a garden style condo yesterday, building five years old. There was a Lutron switch in the hallway that served five recessed lights in the kitchen. No dimmer (which was unusual). The face plate was fairly warm (measured 96 degrees with a laser thermometer). Adjacent switch controlling just one light was 72 degrees. Took plate off, no evidence of overheating or scorching of the wires.
Is this a problem? Flagged it but unsure if the temp rise could be normal with an extended use of the recessed lights?
Any comments?
Ernie Simpson

Sounds like the switch is not rated for the wattage that it is controlling. If it was warm enough to make you check its temperature I would go ahead and note it in the report. If it is just a normal switch and not a dimmer then it should not be warm. Dimmer switches are designed to dissipate the heat they create and normal wall switches are not.

Corn Walker
01-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Any comments?

Are you sure it wasn't a dimmer or other electronic control? I'm not aware of any Lutron controls that are standard open contact switches, at least not within the past 5 years or so.

Lou Romano
01-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Are you sure it wasn't a dimmer or other electronic control? I'm not aware of any Lutron controls that are standard open contact switches, at least not within the past 5 years or so.

Lutron's "Claro" line has non dimming switches and receptacles too!

Corn Walker
01-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Lutron's "Claro" line has non dimming switches and receptacles too!

I believe Claro refers to the finish on their designer wall plates. However, I did note on pg 85 in my line book in the "coordinating accessories" section they have single-pole, 3-way, and 4-way switches. They don't have any technical documentation on them, and aside from custom colors I can't imagine why someone would specify them, but thanks for the tip.

Lou Romano
01-10-2011, 01:57 PM
The switches and receptacles are color coordinated and come in many colors! 27 colors I think but not sure, that is why they are specified by a lot of interior designers.

Speedy Petey
01-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Sounds like the switch is not rated for the wattage that it is controlling. This is actually not likely. The lowest rated switch is going to be 15A. He says it is controlling only five lights. Even at 150W each that is only 750 watts, or 6.25A.

Could it possibly be a poor backstab connection?
I am not familiar with Lutron Claro, do they even have backstab connections?