PDA

View Full Version : lighting in crawl space

Jimmey Hughes
01-07-2011, 08:03 AM
I am in the process of installing additional lighting in my crawl space. My concern is, are there any restrictions regarding the type of lighting that should be used?

Matt Fellman
01-07-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure about any code requirements but just using logic... I'd GFI protect everything and use closed lights - meaning the type with covers as opposed to open bulbs.

You might just wire up a bunch of switched outlets and use those plug-in fluorescent lights (the kind that are often in closet or over a desk area in a kitchen). They're cheap and safe and easy to install.

Hank Spinnler
01-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Around here, open "keyless" light fixtures with bare incandescent light bulbs are standard in crawlspaces and attics. Bulbs are already burned out half the time.

Vern Heiler
01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Around here, open "keyless" light fixtures with bare incandescent light bulbs are standard in crawlspaces and attics. Bulbs are already burned out half the time.
Common here to. When you turn around in a tight crawlspace it's easy to break the bulb with your head. Good news is the white hot element cauterizes the wound:D .