PDA

View Full Version : Install Irrigation Pipes Under Drainage Swales?

K. Smith
01-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Is it a good idea to install PVC pipes (2 or 3 inches diameter) under drainage swales (V ditches) for slope irrigation purposes, or should they be installed over the drainage swales? The drainage swales run laterally on slopes that are graded 2:1. Please provide reasons behind input.

Bruce Ramsey
01-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Why whould you run pipes if you have a swale? Either the pipes are carrying the water or the swale is carrying the water.

Do you wear a belt and suspenders at the same time?

K. Smith
01-08-2011, 11:47 AM
The pipes would be part of irrigation system used to water the slopes.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
01-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Post Questions From Home Owners, Buyers or DIYers In This Section
InspectionNews is designed for Inspector to Inspector communications.

However, this section is set up for for people who are not inspectors to ask their questions:

(clickable link): http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/questions-home-owners-home-buyers-diy/

I suggest you consult with an irrigation contractor, plumbing designer, or environmental engineer, perhaps your local University Extension Office may have some materials you can find helpful regarding both errosion control and proper irrigation practices, including protection of supply system.

This is certainly not a how-to forum for errosion control, irrigation or agricultural DIY projects.

That's what, six such how-to topic subjects?

Ian Page
01-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Doesn't the placement of your irrigation supply lines largely depend on whether they are irrigating (pointing) upslope or downslope as to whether they would be place above or below the swale? Perhaps, upslope -above, downslope - below and as to the type of heads used? The number of horizontal lines, the distance between each, distance between each riser or head AND the type/variety of plantings requiring irrigation are all significant factors. It also depends on whether the swales are intended to capture the irrigation run-off, allowing it to soak into the ground or to disperse excessive water away from the hillside.

Sorry, too many unknowns for any definitive response.

Jerry Peck
01-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Is it a good idea to install PVC pipes (2 or 3 inches diameter) under drainage swales (V ditches) for slope irrigation purposes, or should they be installed over the drainage swales? The drainage swales run laterally on slopes that are graded 2:1. Please provide reasons behind input.

I've been trying to figure out what the above means and is actually asking - here is my guess:

My presumption: There is a swale, with slope sides (obviously, otherwise it would not be a swale) and there is an intent to provide irrigation (sprinklers) to the side of the swale.

The question, then (based on the above presumption), is whether or not it is better to place the sprinklers at the bottom of the swale and spray upward onto the slopes, or, to place the sprinklers at the tops of the sides of the swale and spray downward over the slopes.

If the above question is correct, then the answer would be to place the sprinklers (and thus the irrigation piping) along the tops of the swales. It is a lot easier to spray water out and let the water fall down over the swales rather that try to spray the water up and out far enough to get the same coverage - the latter would take a lot more pressure to accomplish the same coverage the former would give with less pressure.

Ian Page
01-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Jerry
I too had a difficult time trying to interperet the post and the intent of the OP. I also made the assumption that the 2" - 3" plastic pipes referred to were for irrigation purposes. Spraying (rain-birds) upwards and and allowing the swales to act as catch-basins for run-off would not be unusual, in my area. The swales/catch basins allow the water to permeate the soil closer to the root level. It all really depends on what you are trying to irrigate. But all this is way off a Home Inspection forum... Just attempting to be helpful, enlighten and accommodate.

Charles Sessums
01-09-2011, 11:36 AM
If the above question is correct, then the answer would be to place the sprinklers (and thus the irrigation piping) along the tops of the swales. It is a lot easier to spray water out and let the water fall down over the swales rather that try to spray the water up and out far enough to get the same coverage - the latter would take a lot more pressure to accomplish the same coverage the former would give with less pressure.

I disagree Jerry. Heads placed at the top tend to overshoot the intended area. The coverage is more even if the heads are placed low and spray up. My past work included sales and design for an irrigation contractor.