PDA

View Full Version : This morning's roof

John Arnold
01-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Forgot my snowshoes...

C.Johnson
01-26-2011, 01:01 PM
We just missed that storm here:D Looks like you got more coming too.

Rick Bunzel
01-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Did you use the broom to get to the roof? Probably safer than climbing a 24ft ladder in the snow!!

//Rick

Michael Thomas
01-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Did you use the broom to get to the roof? Probably safer than climbing a 24ft ladder in the snow!!//Rick

Yup... step-through bars will get you on and off the roof OK, it's making sure the bottom of the ladder won't kick out that's the problem...

... and then, there's those pools of frozen water at the low spots under the snow...

John Arnold
01-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Did you use the broom to get to the roof? Probably safer than climbing a 24ft ladder in the snow!!

//Rick

As a recent candidate for the Senate said, I am not a witch.

Ted Menelly
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Forgot my snowshoes...

So

You went on the roof toooooo

Maybe find a soft spot to fall thru or just to get a winter tan ?

I see the broom but I know you are not going to sweep the roof off,,,,,,right?

John Arnold
01-26-2011, 01:57 PM
So

You went on the roof toooooo

Maybe find a soft spot to fall thru or just to get a winter tan ?

I see the broom but I know you are not going to sweep the roof off,,,,,,right?

I did in fact sweep a couple spots so I could ID the type of roofing material. I also needed to look at the chimney top and flue.

Ted Menelly
01-26-2011, 02:44 PM
I did in fact sweep a couple spots so I could ID the type of roofing material. I also needed to look at the chimney top and flue.

I figured that is what you were up to. Mine this morning was too frosty and too steep to get on

Jerry McCarthy
01-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Is that creosote oozing out of the chimney on the right?

John Arnold
01-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Is that creosote oozing out of the chimney on the right?

Nope. That's the classic Philadelphia roofing tar chimney "crown".

Nick Ostrowski
01-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Nope. That's the classic Philadelphia roofing tar chimney "crown".

It helps lock in the natural juices and keeps the chimney extra moist and juicy. Yum.

John Arnold
01-26-2011, 05:47 PM
It helps lock in the natural juices and keeps the chimney extra moist and juicy. Yum.

The clay liner was in remarkably good shape, probably due to the efficiency, or rather, lack thereof, of the 39 year old gas furnace.

Ted Menelly
01-26-2011, 07:00 PM
So, it looks like the typical 2 if not three story Philadelphia home. Did you stick the tall extension ladder in the snow drift or just set the feet on the ice below.

John Arnold
01-26-2011, 07:27 PM
So, it looks like the typical 2 if not three story Philadelphia home. Did you stick the tall extension ladder in the snow drift or just set the feet on the ice below.

Actually this was a sort of non-typical one story row, so I really wasn't doing anything very scary. I flipped the ladder feet around and jammed them down into whatever was under the snow on the front concrete patio. It felt secure, so up I went with my broom.

Ken Rowe
01-26-2011, 10:34 PM
I haven't been able to inspect a roof since the end of November.

John Kogel
01-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Forgot my snowshoes...Forgot my sunscreen.... :cool:
Sorry, John. Good to see a bit of weather doesn't hold you back. In this town we can't drive two blocks without crashing in snow like that.

James Whitman
02-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Forgot my snowshoes...

You will need snowshoes to get around up there. The streets are just slick with ice around here. It's like the city had to shut down.