PDA

View Full Version : Need help with fuse panel.

elwood pleebis
07-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I found four defects in the panel, in the picture below. I was wondering if you guys can tell me what defects you see. I'm new to Home Inspection and would like your input to see if i didn't miss anything. Also the wires are all 14 gauge copper, and the white wire is one leg of a 240V circuit. Thanks.:confused:

Richard Rushing
07-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Since you didn't fill out your profile completely, I checked the TREC website to see where you are located...

The have no licensee by that name.:confused:

RR

Nick Ostrowski
07-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Elwood, be sure to let your clients also know that fuse panels are hot buttons for some insurance companies in that they may not offer a policy on a house that has them or may bill at a premium in order to insure.

Richard Rushing
07-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Elwood (from Tx),

Are you doing home inspections? My question to you was not (initially) about your license, but where you are located, since you did not fill out your profile.

However, since you did not fill out your profile and seeing that you are performing inspections in Texas, I attempted to look up your name and where you were-- No such record or licensee. This seemed to strike me as more than strange, since your post stated you were new to home inspecting. My offer to help would normally be if you were in the area, to provide you with a ride-along or assistance with your new business venture. But... that will not be possible if you are not licensed.

Unlike some folks form Oklahoma, around here (Tx) we do care about the public perception of our inspectors. If you are doing inspections during business start-up, make sure they are practice only and for friends and family. Do not let anyone believe this is for a sale of real property.

By the way Dan... it was NOT valid question.
Quote: "I'm new to Home Inspection and would like your input to see if i didn't miss anything"

That was not a question. He was looking for affirmation.

The question wanted to know if "I didn't miss anything". The problem is... you cannot tell from the partial photograph-- if anything was missed. First, he didn't state what he found (the four things) and the question was not a question but was put as looking for validation of his findings (which weren't posted) and second, he was asking an opinion of a partial photo.

The only thing that could be said was pretty much what Nick stated, that these are considered an issue with most insurance companies.

elwood pleebis
07-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Since you didn't fill out your profile completely, I checked the TREC website to see where you are located...

The have no licensee by that name.:confused:

RR
Just learning for now, no fee paid inspection yet.:rolleyes:

elwood pleebis
07-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Elwood (from Tx),

Are you doing home inspections? My question to you was not (initially) about your license, but where you are located, since you did not fill out your profile.

However, since you did not fill out your profile and seeing that you are performing inspections in Texas, I attempted to look up your name and where you were-- No such record or licensee. This seemed to strike me as more than strange, since your post stated you were new to home inspecting. My offer to help would normally be if you were in the area, to provide you with a ride-along or assistance with your new business venture. But... that will not be possible if you are not licensed.

Unlike some folks form Oklahoma, around here (Tx) we do care about the public perception of our inspectors. If you are doing inspections during business start-up, make sure they are practice only and for friends and family. Do not let anyone believe this is for a sale of real property.

By the way Dan... it was NOT valid question.
Quote: "I'm new to Home Inspection and would like your input to see if i didn't miss anything"

That was not a question. He was looking for affirmation.

The question wanted to know if "I didn't miss anything". The problem is... you cannot tell from the partial photograph-- if anything was missed. First, he didn't state what he found (the four things) and the question was not a question but was put as looking for validation of his findings (which weren't posted) and second, he was asking an opinion of a partial photo.

The only thing that could be said was pretty much what Nick stated, that these are considered an issue with most insurance companies.

Didn't mean to upset anyone here.. Just wanted to know what you could see from just the pic that i gave of any defects present in the pic. I am learning and by no way getting any fees..still have a lot further to go with the studies and possible eventual certification.

Richard Rushing
07-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Cool. Where are you located?

elwood pleebis
07-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Cool. Where are you located?
When i usually fill out a registration i just put whatever comes to mind, for filling in the other non important info. Plus i like to be a little private, never know what weirdos are out there.:D

elwood pleebis
07-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Oh, who cares if the guy has a TREC license or not. He is asking a valid question , not inflamatory comments or something.

This is what I see (and by now means I'm no expert).

-Two black, hot wires to terminal screw.
- Equipment grounds to lug and screw on panel, not bus bar - not to current standards.

- I always recommend replacing old fuse panels.
Whats the implication of that.?? Not grounded properly or something else?