PDA

View Full Version : Plan to buy a Wagner pin-less moisture meter soon.

Andy Jarchow
01-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Hello all,

I plan to buy a Wagner pin-less moisture meter soon. Anyone know which model would be the best all around meter for a hi?

Thank you

Have a great weekend!
mk

Andy Jarchow
01-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Hello all,

I plan to buy a Wagner pin-less moisture meter soon. Anyone know which model would be the best all around meter for a hi?

Thank you

Have a great weekend!
mk

I may have found my answer The BI2200! :o

Vern Heiler
01-28-2011, 11:31 AM
I may have found my answer The BI2200! :o
You might want to check out the Roybi at the Orange Box for $50.

Andy Jarchow
01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
You might want to check out the Roybi at the Orange Box for $50.

I’m leery about buying a cheap meter. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Vern Heiler
01-28-2011, 11:40 AM
I’m leery about buying a cheap meter. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
I have one and it is spot on with pin types I have checked it against. The other thing is, you are not as concerned with the exact moisture measurment as you are with wetter than the reference area. If I were installing hardwood flooring or finishing cabinets I would be more concerned with the actual measurement. With the cost at $50 I won't shoot the dog if I loose it in a crawlspace or attic.

Andy Jarchow
01-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I have one and it is spot on with pin types I have checked it against. The other thing is, you are not as concerned with the exact moisture measurment as you are with wetter than the reference area. If I were installing hardwood flooring or finishing cabinets I would be more concerned with the actual measurement. With the cost at $50 I won't shoot the dog if I loose it in a crawlspace or attic.

Good point.
Thank you

Scott Patterson
01-29-2011, 10:19 AM
I can only recommend Tramex, Delmhorst or Protimeters. Yes, they all cost more than $50 but they last for years and years and they are very reliable.

Nick Ostrowski
01-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I started inspecting using a cheap $50 Plasplugs pin meter. It was OK but I wanted something better and dropped $450 for the Protimeter Surveymaster. It was well worth it. I've picked up elevated moisture levels and confirmed plumbing leaks and water penetration on walls and ceiling using the scan mode that the meter was not able to pick up using the pins.

It's nice to be able to confirm a suspicion without having to jamb the pins into a wall or ceiling and leave holes behind. I can't speak for other meters but the Surveymaster will register a false reading when it passes over metal.

Scott Patterson
01-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I I can't speak for other meters but the Surveymaster will register a false reading when it passes over metal.

They will all give a false positive when they detect metal. Corner beads, nail/screw heads, lath under plaster, etc are all good at giving a false positive.

Mark Cramer
01-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Hello all,

Thank you

Have a great weekend!
mk

Buy a Tramex Moisture Encounter. Best meter for home inspectors, IMHO

Tim Sharp
02-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Scott, which Tramex meter do you have? I'm getting ready to order a moisture meter and I want to get one that I can adjust the sensitivity, I don't want to spend more than I need but I don't want to skimp on tools, especially a moisture meter.

Scott Patterson
02-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Scott, which Tramex meter do you have? I'm getting ready to order a moisture meter and I want to get one that I can adjust the sensitivity, I don't want to spend more than I need but I don't want to skimp on tools, especially a moisture meter.

I have a Moisture Encounter by Tramex.