PDA

View Full Version : Home Inspection (Foreclosure)

Chris Westphal
01-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi all, new to the board. Did some internet searching and came across this site. Learned so much in a just a short while. I am purchasing (planning on it at least) a foreclosed property in Northern,VA (Centreville,VA) and am trying to find a compentent home inspector to perform a thorough walk through and inspection of the property. The property has been winterized and from the posts I've read here has me very concerned (potential leaks, structural damage, etc...)

So if anyone has suggestions or advice or knows of a good home inspector in the Northern VA area it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris

Bruce King
01-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Hi all, new to the board. Did some internet searching and came across this site. Learned so much in a just a short while. I am purchasing (planning on it at least) a foreclosed property in Northern,VA (Centreville,VA) and am trying to find a compentent home inspector to perform a thorough walk through and inspection of the property. The property has been winterized and from the posts I've read here has me very concerned (potential leaks, structural damage, etc...)

So if anyone has suggestions or advice or knows of a good home inspector in the Northern VA area it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris

You should look for an independent inspector here Independent Home Inspectors of North America (http://www.independentinspectors.org/)

If not one for your area, look here Find a Certified Inspectors with InspectorNow.com (http://www.inspectornow.com/)

Try to find one with E&O insurance, at least 5 years experience and an infrared camera.

Stuart Brooks
01-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Chris - I sent you via PM the names of 3 ASHI and Virginia Certified home inspectors NOVA, I know all 3 of them.

FYI -The utilities will have to be turned on at least temporarily. I expect the house will be winterized so should be de-winterized before the inspection. The original winterization contractor may have to come back to do that. I have found water systems disabled so Real Estate agents and home inspectors can't turn on the water and then leave the house in cold weather without re-winterizing.

Scott Patterson
01-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Chris - I sent you via PM the names of 3 ASHI and Virginia Certified home inspectors NOVA, I know all 3 of them.

FYI -The utilities will have to be turned on at least temporarily. I expect the house will be winterized so should be de-winterized before the inspection. The original winterization contractor may have to come back to do that. I have found water systems disabled so Real Estate agents and home inspectors can't turn on the water and then leave the house in cold weather without re-winterizing.

Chris, I would go with the folks that Stuart told you about in his private message. I do not know the names he sent you, but I know that if they have gone through the process to obtain those certifications that they will be in the top percentile of inspectors in the area.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
01-29-2011, 10:20 AM

Chris Westphal,

Although at sometime in the future your topic discussion may be moved to the Home Owners, Home Buyers, and DIY area of the forum, I note initially, and at the present time, your question was posted in the "VA, FHA, HUD, Disaster and Insurance Inspections of the forum.

I'm going to take a leap and assume this is because you are considering either a financing program underwritten by one of these entities, or that the property may be one that qualifies for federal flood insurance program.

I mention this because, I think it is important to note that an "inspection" for one of the lending programs such as VA or FHA, is not a "regular" home inspection, it is one done to determine if the property meets the minimum requirements for the underwriting criteria - said inspection/appraisal is done on behalf of the loan originator and is not the same as a buyer's "home inspection".

The VA/FHA "inspection" and a "home inspection" on behalf of a purchaser are indeed two distinctly different things. I do not comment as to whether the same party can perform both for the same property transaction, only to point out that for a home purchase - one should be well informed and note that the more complete "home inspection" on behalf of the BUYER, IS recommended even by those underwriting programs, but is at your option - where as the other is required by the underwriter for the program.

These are separate expenditures for separate and distinctly different "functions" and reports, with different limitations, reporting standards, areas of examination, and completely different goals.

The FHA/HUD/VA "inspection" is to determine if the property has the minimum features to be eliglble to be underwritten; the true "Home Inspection" is to report on to the propsective purchaser (not the underwriter or loan originator, as to the condition of the property as it is inspected - to the buyer.

HTH.

Chris Westphal
01-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I've learned so much already. The property is a foreclosure and i am going with FHA financing and as H.G. mentioned I think, at the moment, I am only lined up for a FHA inspection. I certainly want the complete home inspection.

My real estate agent has a home inspector line up already, should I go with this guy provided he has certifications and experience? I am more inclined to go with your alls recommendation based on the objectivity.

What's a reasonable home inspection fee going to run? Should I line up a licensed HVAC and/or plumber in conjunction with the home inspection?

Stuart Brooks
01-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I've learned so much already. The property is a foreclosure and i am going with FHA financing and as H.G. mentioned I think, at the moment, I am only lined up for a FHA inspection. I certainly want the complete home inspection.

My real estate agent has a home inspector line up already, should I go with this guy provided he has certifications and experience? I am more inclined to go with your alls recommendation based on the objectivity.

What's a reasonable home inspection fee going to run? Should I line up a licensed HVAC and/or plumber in conjunction with the home inspection?

Agent's Inspector: Depends - Although, many of my clients come to me because they wouldn't touch an agent's referral. Beware terms like, "my guy". You want an inspector that 1) knows what they are doing 2) Does his job with you as his primary concern not the agent.

Cost: In NOVA some base their fees on the selling or listing price of the home, others on square footage. There is one guy up there who flat rates any size single family dwelling. I would expect $350-$500 in NOVA. Now, before you go, "OMG". If you don't know what you are getting, it would be very, very easy for you to end up on the hook for thousands of dollars worth of repairs soon after you move into the house. I've never had a client make any kind of statement like, "That was a waste of money" but I frequently do hear, "That's the best XXX dollars I ever spent on anything".

A lot of my work has been foreclosures and short sales. Some can be really sweet deals others can be a money pit just waiting to happen. You might consider a home warranty. I don't have any personal experience with them but it seems a lot of my clients are buying the policies.