PDA

View Full Version : Cat IV in bedroom closet

Benjamin Thompson
02-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Today's inspection had a newer Cat IV furnace in a bedroom closet with a louvered bifold door. All of the combustion air was drawn from outside. Is this allowed?

Markus Keller
02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
That's a little more of a tricky question. Don't know what Code you are under or if your municipality has specific requirements.
Outside as in exterior combustion air pipe? If Yes then that would be one plus mark. Other things to consider in terms of whether the unit and location are compliant or not.
- local fire separation requirements, is this SF or multi unit Condo; 5/8" or 1/2" drywall, type of door etc.
- furnace set on non-combustible floor surface
- proper drain line for condensate
- where is main return being pulled from
- is it a sealed box unit or open box unit
- is the a smoke and CM detector
- orientation of supply and return registers for the room if any
- drain pan for furnace, some muni require it if unit is in upper level
- does there a gap at the bottom of the room door
Not trying to make it complicated, just looking to ask all the question in order to protect the client.

Benjamin Thompson
02-07-2011, 04:33 PM
That's a little more of a tricky question. Don't know what Code you are under or if your municipality has specific requirements.
Outside as in exterior combustion air pipe? If Yes then that would be one plus mark. Other things to consider in terms of whether the unit and location are compliant or not.
- local fire separation requirements, is this SF or multi unit Condo; 5/8" or 1/2" drywall, type of door etc.
- furnace set on non-combustible floor surface
- proper drain line for condensate
- where is main return being pulled from
- is it a sealed box unit or open box unit
- is the a smoke and CM detector
- orientation of supply and return registers for the room if any
- drain pan for furnace, some muni require it if unit is in upper level
- does there a gap at the bottom of the room door
Not trying to make it complicated, just looking to ask all the question in order to protect the client.

Thanks Marcus,
Single family home
On concrete floor in a walk-out basement bedroom
Condensate pump
Return is upstairs
1 supply register in the room about 6 feet from the closet door
Sealed unit, Supply air piped from the exterior
Smoke detectors but no CO detector seen
The door is louvered (may as well not be a door)

James Duffin
02-07-2011, 04:53 PM
I would check the manufactures installation instructions for approved or prohibited locations.

Ted Menelly
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Sealed units have problems like any other gas fired unit. If it is in a bedroom closet and it is open to the bedroom I would say no. Leaks, defects etc, just to many things that can go wrong and then the bedroom occupant dies in their sleep.

No, I have not looked it up yet but the gut says no for any reason or number of reasons.

Scott Patterson
02-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Today's inspection had a newer Cat IV furnace in a bedroom closet with a louvered bifold door. All of the combustion air was drawn from outside. Is this allowed?

In my area if the door was solid and sealed with weather stripping it would be OK.

Benjamin Thompson
02-07-2011, 06:19 PM
In my area if the door was solid and sealed with weather stripping it would be OK.

That's exactly what I recommended along with the door being self-closing. I just wonder why this was passed by the city 2 years ago.

Darren Miller
02-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Combustion air shall not be obtained from a sleeping room.

Exception- Appliances installed in an enclosure in which all combustion air is taken from the outdoors and the enclosure is equipped with a solid weather-stripped door and self-closing device.