PDA

View Full Version : loud dehumidifier noise

John Arnold
02-08-2011, 06:42 AM
The 3 year old Whirlpool free standing dehumidifier in my basement just started making a loud, low frequency noise. Sounds like a window AC unit that you've turned off and then back on again quickly, like it's laboring and very unhappy.
When I unplug it, wait a bit, and then plug it back in, it sounds ok at first and is blowing lots of air, but then the loud noise starts after about 30 seconds or so.
Probably done for, I guess, but I'd hope to get more than 3 years out of a dehumidifier.
Its capacity is 75 pints/24 hours.
Any advice?

Nick Ostrowski
02-08-2011, 08:03 AM
John, I've noticed my dehumidifier doesn't sound quite the same running in winter weather with lower humidity levels as opposed to when it runs in the times of the year with higher humidity levels. Nothing along the lines of what you described but still a little different.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
02-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Why in built-in appliance area?

DEhumidifier in the basement in the winter - WHY??? Inadequate ventillation?

I'm gathering a "whine" or "hum" not unlike a locked rotor condition on a garbage disposal. Guesing compressor not starting/running.

There is always the obvious - integral fuse or secondary OCPD needs reset or an anti-tip or flood switch needs reset, low ambient temperatures for operating environment, frozen oil/lubricants, low refrigerant/leak, bad start capacitor or brush, failure to maintain, insufficient power, or if its really a high frequency squeel - a farrad vibrating.

What is the ambient temperature where this free standing appliance is situated? Is it sitting on a cold floor, in a minimally heated space, or subject to a cold downdraft?

Is it plugged directly into an adequate power source or via a power strip, extension cord, etc.

Cleaned it? Maintained it? Checked the owners manual and troubleshooting guide?

Check relays, capicitors, boards, connections.

Why run it in frigid outdoor temps during heating season? Poorly ventilated area? Foundation leak? Unvented appliances?