PDA

View Full Version : Bowed wall in slab home - question

Alexander Laws
02-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Hello all!
Have a question about a bowed wall in a potential house purchase.
Will try to keep it simple.
House is in the California high desert. Built on slab.
One of the walls is bowed at the bottom in the living room. Seems to bulge/curve inward. Does the same thing in the same place on the exterior outside of the wall... bulging outward. There is a thin cracking in the sheetrock on the ceiling at the other side of the living room. Appears to follow an untaped seam between two sheet panels? My uneducated guess. I have included four pictures that illustrate the bowing, and the crack in the sheet... and another photo showing the roof design.
It is a one story house... pine siding, built in 2007. Never lived in.
I know that bowed walls are sometimes an indication of foundation/roof problems... or could be bowed framing lumber was used? Again... potntial purchase... just had a short walk through. wall line caught my eye...
Any ideas/insight?
Thank you for your time, and any information!
http://www.lexlaws.com/interiorbow.jpg
http://www.lexlaws.com/exteriorbow.jpg
http://www.lexlaws.com/ceilingcrack.jpg
http://www.lexlaws.com/roof.jpg

Fred Comb
02-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Is it possible that a post which may support the upper roof may is located in the wall about where the bulge is? I can't tell for sure. While I love Joshua Tree, that house has an unusual roof and design

Alexander Laws
02-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Fred, I don't know... the bow happens along the floor line under the window. No signs of any damage by water, etc... I don't know what a roof may is, but I don't think there is a support beam in there as it is under the window. Maybe just sloppy work? ... or a body in the wall? ;) J/K.
The house is unusual... a pine clad cabin in the desert... http://www.lexlaws.com/homestead2.jpg

Marc M
02-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Do you have any other pics? Maybe of the roof/eaves/top plate area or even a different prospective?

Alexander Laws
02-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Not really, Marc... sorry, didn't know what I was looking for. Here is a slightly different perspective of the exterior, where it bows out at the bottom under the window. Maybe I will go back and snap some pics of certain exterior roof lines and areas. I do know that it was an old cabin that was completely rehabbed, and that the rear half of the house (3 bedrooms and a bath) was all add-on.
http://www.lexlaws.com/bow2.jpg

Garry Sorrells
02-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Crooked man that built crooked house. If they reframed for the window they could have screw up. Being a rehab, the original base plate on the floor could have been bowed when they attached it originally and not corrected during rehab. It is possible to open up the walls and straighten it out. Basically reframing as if it had been termite or water damaged.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
02-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Hello all!
Have a question about a bowed wall in a potential house purchase.
Will try to keep it simple.
House is in the California high desert. Built on slab.
One of the walls is bowed at the bottom in the living room. Seems to bulge/curve inward. Does the same thing in the same place on the exterior outside of the wall... bulging outward. There is a thin cracking in the sheetrock on the ceiling at the other side of the living room. Appears to follow an untaped seam between two sheet panels? My uneducated guess. I have included four pictures that illustrate the bowing, and the crack in the sheet... and another photo showing the roof design.

It is a one story house... pine siding, built in 2007. Never lived in.

I know that bowed walls are sometimes an indication of foundation/roof problems... or could be bowed framing lumber was used? Again... potntial purchase... just had a short walk through. wall line caught my eye...
Any ideas/insight?
Thank you for your time, and any information!

The statement that the structure was built in 2007, and has never been occupied, is not to be believed.

There are obvious signs that the entirety was not a single planed construction.

You might do some permits and planning reviews, get assessors records, etc.

As far as the remainder, suggest you acquire the services of a competant home inspector, and consult with a registered professional to review the structural aspects.

I find it concerning that you appear to represent the first four photos as being of the same wall except for the interior photo of the opposite wall/ceiling cracking.

The two exterior views must be either altered or of different doors & windows.

We have one exterior photo showing one window to the left of the door, we have yet another showing three windows to the left of "the door".

We have varying sill heights to the first window to the left of the door - and an interior showing a window opening below header lower than the door.

It appears there have been a multitude of changes, modifications, and additions to what may have been at least two distinct and separate structures at one time or another; and which may or may not incorporate a unit (or two) of other than conventional original site-built construction.

What has been presented has been inconsistant and contradictory, and am suspicious of your representations as to what certain photographs depict, I chose to not expand further.

I suggest you cannot expect over-the-internet due dillegence, and the sketchy, contradicting and varying information you provide(d) will not provide you the answers you seek.

Do the research and contract the services of professionals for inspection, review and analysis.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
02-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Not really, Marc... sorry, didn't know what I was looking for. Here is a slightly different perspective of the exterior, where it bows out at the bottom under the window. Maybe I will go back and snap some pics of certain exterior roof lines and areas. I do know that it was an old cabin that was completely rehabbed, and that the rear half of the house (3 bedrooms and a bath) was all add-on.

I do not find this description to be credible either; further, it is completely contradictory and incompatible with your first (incredible) post description.

Alexander Laws
02-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Mr. Watson, I am confused by your suspicions of my representations. The first two photos show the same wall from the inside, and from the outside... looking down the same direction. The crack is ceiling opposite from that wall. And the third photo was just a photo of the house showing the roof over that room... with the idea that it would show that the roof was not massive... should roof load be of question (again, I don't know these things). And yes, the house view shows the opposite side from where the bulge is. North wall has bow, picture with house view shows opposite south side of that main room with carport and other entry door. There is a door on each side of that main room of the house. I am not sure why I would try to mislead anyone.. I just had a question as to wether a wall bulging in such a manner was of concern. As to the rehab... I was told by the listing agent that the house was a total rebuild of an existing cabin... all new materials and builder added 3 bedrooms and a bath. Let me clarify... not lived in since rebuild. Sure, maybe someone lived in the original cabin. I had no intention of misrepresenting anything in order to get one answer or another. I know a qualified inspector will have to give it the hairy eyeball... all I was asking was, does that bulge look bad, like it may be a structural problem? Sorry to ruffle feathers, was not my intention at all.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
When you removed the bracing and studs to install the door you failed to remediate the structure properly. I'm sure the term sheer would escape you.

You installed the ceiling drywall directly to the ceiling/roof joists.

You might have been forthcoming in the first place. Posting the same room area during demolition and before the door installation here as you have elsewhere with the ceiling and "future" door location.

Don't know why you felt need to make out you were unrelated to the problem(s).

Alexander Laws
02-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Watson... Whoa! I have no Idea what you are even talking about. I suspect you have no idea what you are talking about. I did NOT build this house... nor do I have ANY ties to it! It is a house that is for sale. It is unfinished. I am interested in the property. Thought the kind folks here would maybe be able to tell me if the wall was wonky and wrong. That's all. I suppose you have, in a way, shed a bit of light... Thanks. But, again, I sure as heck didn't build the place. Not my house! You are misled.

Marc M
02-15-2011, 02:36 PM
HG, man...go easy on the poor guy.

Scott Patterson
02-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Watson... Whoa! I have no Idea what you are even talking about. I suspect you have no idea what you are talking about. I did NOT build this house... nor do I have ANY ties to it! It is a house that is for sale. It is unfinished. I am interested in the property. Thought the kind folks here would maybe be able to tell me if the wall was wonky and wrong. That's all. I suppose you have, in a way, shed a bit of light... Thanks. But, again, I sure as heck didn't build the place. Not my house! You are misled.

It's time for HG's meds or he missed the Jello that was served for lunch!

I think that you are just looking at a cobbled together structure with just some screwy workmanship. It almost looks like a manufactured home that has been camouflaged.

Nick Ostrowski
02-15-2011, 02:54 PM
It's time for HG's meds or he missed the Jello that was served for lunch!

Funny stuff Scott.

It's so nice that the general public can come on here and get berated just like the rest of us.

Alexander Laws
02-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Scott, completely agree... looked just like a manufactured from listing photos... but hey, it is in my price range ;) Guess it won't be falling on my head then? Watson, truce? I promise never to get into the home building business... I swear!