PDA

View Full Version : where all the vent pipes are above average

John Arnold
07-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Well, they average better than 1/4 inch per foot, don't they?! Don't be so picky!

Thomas Kirchner
03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Sure, 'til they angle down b4 going up again!

Gunnar Alquist
03-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey, if a siphon can work for water, why not gas? :cool:

william siegel
03-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Is that a tubine cover at the end of the pipe?

Ken Kimball
03-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Interesting, up and down the 90 and up again, but not just once but on both appliances.

Tom and Gunner hit it correct. the flow for gas needs to be it an upward direction when venting atmospheric Category gas fired appliances.

Hopefully, you wrote this one up as needing correction and it is followed.

Did you happen to do any testing of the flue gases? What does the termination (top of chimney) look like?

William, I don't konw about a turbine cover , At the end of the pipe the item it looks like a Crimped Cap (plug) for a clean out , this could be removed to inspect the chimney or whatever, like removing dead birds and debris that fall down the chimney. It does have a handle for easier removal too!

Ken Kimball, Director of Operations
Carbon Monoxide Safety Association
Phone 605-393-8368
e-mail kenkimball@coafety.org
The Carbon Monoxide Safety Assoc (http://www.cosafety.org)

Tom Rees
03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Is that chimney lined?

Ken Kimball
03-16-2009, 09:28 PM
I took a closer look at the water heater venting, and you should too, there are two bar code labels, one on the 1st elbow (that one has discolored from heat) and the other one is on the pipe just above that elbow. (no discoloration).
my question is do you think if it is venting (hot flue gases) these two paper labels would show you something similar or what? and if the combustion gases are not going up, where to you think they are going?
(deadmen tell no tales!)

Ken Kimball, COSA
The Carbon Monoxide Safety Assoc (http://www.cosafety.org)

John Arnold
03-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Wow. My post has risen like the proverbial Phoenix. Original post date was back in July! 2007!
It was intended largely for amusement, since the flue connectors are clearly a joke!

Did I write it up? OF COURSE I wrote it up. It's ridiculous!

Is the chimney lined? I forget. Possibly not.

What does the top of the chimney look like? I forget. Probably like a pile of loose bricks.
No doubt I have a photo from the top, but it would take me a while just to find the report.

Nick Ostrowski
03-17-2009, 06:10 AM
C'mon John. It's not like you posted this almost two years ago. Where is your ability to recall details?