PDA

View Full Version : Stone fireplace construction

Eric Williams
02-14-2011, 03:51 PM
This fireplace was spotted today in the basement of home built in 1958. Note the custom combustible hearth. Construction, including firebox, is stone with a concrete block and brick base. It is my understanding that a firebox does not actually need to be constructed of firebrick. It can be made from stone but must meet other requirements including thicker back and side walls. This set up including connection to chimney just feels wrong. Unit does not have a damper, either. Any thoughts on this fireplace construction and flu connections are appreciated.

My apologies for the grainy fireplace pic. Photos were from my Blackberry. I was dropping off radon monitors when I noticed the fireplace. Will be back Thursday for the home inspection.

John Arnold
02-14-2011, 06:17 PM
As the kids say, OMG!
Are those all going into the same flue?!
You bet the whole thing just feels wrong!

Bob Elliott
02-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Regular B vent is not allowed.
There are many guidelines to be followed and I agree this looks all wrong.
Everything you wish to know seems to be in a read only guide found at this link at the National Fire Protection Association.
NFPA 211: Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances (http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/AboutTheCodes.asp?DocNum=211&cookie_test=1)
Just do a fast signup.

John Kogel
02-14-2011, 09:33 PM
I imagine there is a gas furnace behind that water heater? If so, the fireplace connection should be removed, pronto. It would need to be on its own flue, besides all the other screwups.
Where I live, relatively cheap hydro, I would recommend installing an electric fireplace insert, 120 volts, no chimney.

Nick Ostrowski
02-15-2011, 05:08 AM
As the kids say, OMG!
Are those all going into the same flue?!
You bet the whole thing just feels wrong!

LOL!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

That install is DOA.

Gregory Booth
02-15-2011, 05:42 AM
There is a gas line entering the rear of the "fireplace"--was it ever intended to have any thing other than a set of gas logs?

Eric Williams
02-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Thank all.

I guess I couldn't see the forest through the trees. A lot going on but to not pinpoint the furnace/fireplace connection...That's the beauty of doing the radon placement two days prior to inspection. You get this free preview and lots time to research.

There is a gas line entering the rear of the "fireplace"--was it ever intended to have any thing other than a set of gas logs?

Up to this point it been gas only but who is to stop someone from taking the gas logs out and burning wood.

Fred Comb
02-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Thank all.

I guess I couldn't see the forest through the trees. A lot going on but to not pinpoint the furnace/fireplace connection...That's the beauty of doing the radon placement two days prior to inspection. You get this free preview and lots time to research.

Up to this point it been gas only but who is to stop someone from taking the gas logs out and burning wood.

Eric, I would love to use these three photos in presentations of what not to do. If that's OK, can you send high resolution photos. Thanks. fred@homeinspectionsofmn.com

Eric Williams
02-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Eric, I would love to use these three photos in presentations of what not to do. If that's OK, can you send high resolution photos. Thanks. fred@homeinspectionsofmn.com

Fred,

Check your email. Photos on the way.