PDA

View Full Version : Dripping water pressure regulator

Jimmy Olsen
02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
I have a house in Henderson NV with a water pressure regulator that has a drip problem. Seems like the water pressure in the house is going down. Is it time for a new water pressure regulator or can I fix it with a new gasket and adjustments? The water pressure regulator is about 8 years old.

Ian Page
02-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Find the model number on the Regulator and take it to HD or Lowes - they will probably have a complete kit to re-build the inner workings at about 1/3 of the price of a new regulator. However, if it's leaking the housing may be cracked and non-replaceable. I've repaired several and also installed quite a few new ones. Make sure the water stop-valve next to the regulator actually turns off the water before attempting the fix. If it's broken and the water can not be shut off, turn it off at the street and replace the broken valve also at the same time. Good Luck.

ip

Jack Feldmann
02-16-2011, 05:21 AM
Most of the time when they are old, the insides are pretty rusted and the rebuild kit doesn't work so well. Then think of the time it takes you to take it apart, clean it and put it back together. Since you might have to remove it to rebuild it, you will be done so much faster by just replacing it. My time is worth something. IMHO

Jimmy Olsen
02-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. I'll let you know what I decide to do and the results.

Jimmy Olsen
05-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I'll let you know what I decide to do and the results.

Hey guys, here's what happened. I took off the bottome bolt to see if the bell came off which it didn't. I then wrapped the bolt threads with telfon tape with extra around the opening part of the bell. After I screwed the bolt back in, the regulator still dripped although not as much. However, as time went by it dripped less and less and eventually stopped after a month.

Thanks for your help.