PDA

View Full Version : PEX PIPE OR CONDUIT

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
02-20-2011, 05:17 PM
hey all

saw this tubing in attic with no markings---looks like pex pipe--but there was not any red for the hot water. is there a wire conduit like this??? and does this look right?? it was also in utility room but only a small portion visable--and it didn't connect to any sinks--water heater

cvf

Jerry Peck
02-20-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm thinking it is PEX ... not like any electrical blue raceway (smurf tube) that I've seen.

Dom D'Agostino
02-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Do they run water lines in the attic in your neck of the woods?

Rick Cantrell
02-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Looks like it could be structured cable to me.

Jerry Peck
02-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Do they run water lines in the attic in your neck of the woods?

I was wondering the same thing ... and if they do, and if those are water lines, those should be protected from freezing.

Rick Cantrell
02-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Lets try this again.

Jack Feldmann
02-20-2011, 07:10 PM
I've never seen blue wiring like that - interesting.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to tell the difference between PEX pipes and electrical wiring. I think I would have looked closer at where it goes down into the framing.

By the way, PEX comes in several colors and does not have to be color coded at all.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
02-20-2011, 07:16 PM
HEY ALL

i'm in colorado and it gets cold--never seen any water piping in attic--so maybe rick has something here. may go back and crawl in that attic for any print on the blue mystery.

thanks
cvf

Rick Cantrell
02-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Charlie
Was the house wired for; Alarm, Intercom, Speakers, automation, satellite and or cable TV?
Combinations of these often use structured cables.
Structured cable is very often that color of blue.
Structured cable often uses hangers like the ones shown.
Cable droops between the hangers as shown.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
02-20-2011, 07:37 PM
rick

house loaded with speakers--security and cable and the kitchen sink.--guess that explains it. great info--you nailed it and gave us all great info

thanks

cvf

Rick Cantrell
02-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Your welcome
I'm glad to help, and appreciate the confirmation.

Jeff Kirkpatrick
02-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Pex does not have to be color coded. They may have used blue for both hot and cold water.

Bill Scott
02-21-2011, 08:32 PM
If this is cable it should have some type of marking on it indicating what it is. You should be able to leave a indent on it with your thumbnail. If it is pex you won't be able to leave a mark. Pex can freeze solid and not break. Used in my house. Great product.