PDA

View Full Version : Water heater - vehicle impact

Jeff Eastman
07-27-2007, 05:15 PM

Joseph P. Hagarty
07-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Looks like a lot more would be damaged before the vehicle ever hit the water Heater.

imported_John Smith
07-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Jeff, Im not aware of a specific curb height to protect a water heater. IRC just indicates it needs to be "protected from impact by automobiles". Code check shows protective "bullards" installed. I see several installations like in your picture. In my opinion these are fine.

We have to apply some common sense. Obviously different vehicles could inflict different levels of damage. At 5mph, practically anything could inflict some damage.

Your going to send that "bitchy builder - air ducts" over the edge. You should buy Code Check or a copy of the IRC if you dont have them already. Then you can use facts to calm them bitchy builders!

imported_John Smith
07-27-2007, 05:39 PM
If you really want to make them postal, ask them where the combustion air is coming from. It looks like that is a solid door attached to the space in front of the water heater.

bruce m graham III
07-27-2007, 05:41 PM
looks more like a sheet of plywood.

imported_John Smith
07-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Isnt a sheet of plywood solid?

Eric Shuman
07-29-2007, 04:25 PM
When I look close at the right side of the closet I see what apears to be a combustion air duct coming down from (presumably) the attic for the "within 12 inches of the bottom" rule, although it may be terminating higher than 12 inches above the bottom of the closet floor. I don't see the upper CA duct but it may not be visible from the angle of the photo. These ducts for combustion air are very common in my area and the door is almost always solid.

Not that this has anything to do with the original question (Sorry Jeff).:)

Eric

Jerry Peck
07-29-2007, 07:29 PM
That water heater is protected by the wall it is behind.

If the water heater were on the garage side of that wall, yes, it would then need protection, but to get to the water heater you will need to run through that wall.

Now, forget about 'the water heater' and start thinking about everything else in that wall and behind it.

Jerry Peck
07-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Jerry: "Now, forget about 'the water heater' and start thinking about everything else in that wall and behind it."

Such as?

Bedrooms, living areas, laundry rooms, kitchens, the rest of the house ... :)

With that water heater being in that closet, it has the same protection as anything and everything else on the other side of the house. I'd be more concerned with injuring someone in the house than knocking that water heater over or damaging it ... now that it is behind that wall, if someone decided to try to accidentally knock the wall down with a vehicle. :D

Jerry McCarthy
07-30-2007, 10:28 AM
The water heater has no Smitty pan (drain-pan) and the electrical distribution panel probably violates the garage firewall? I would suggest installing a bollard, but in any event the future laundry sink will protect anything from hitting that wall.

Rick Hurst
07-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Water Heater Protection at its Finest ;)

Jerry McCarthy
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Nice Rick, a man should move at least once every 7 years if for no other reason than just to clean his garage.

Jerry Peck
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
the electrical distribution panel probably violates the garage firewall?

Jerry M.,

Is it even a "firewall" in CA?

I doubt it is anywhere else. In the IRC it is just "separation", which does not have the same penetration limitations.