PDA

View Full Version : plug adapters

Jeff Eastman
07-27-2007, 05:32 PM

Michael Thomas
07-28-2007, 05:00 AM
For starters, does the AHJ allow that "dedicated" garage door outlet to be non-GFCI?

If not, and that is (should be) a GFCI, looks to me like that the adapter/transformer combinaiton prevents activating the GFCI's internal test circuitry.

Jerry Peck
07-28-2007, 07:33 AM
For starters, does the AHJ allow that "dedicated" garage door outlet to be non-GFCI?

If not, and that is (should be) a GFCI, looks to me like that the adapter/transformer combinaiton prevents activating the GFCI's internal test circuitry.

Quite to the contrary.

That outlet in 'on the ceiling', i.e., it is not considered "readily accessible" and thus does not require GFCI protection anyway.

The strange thing about that photo is - I see a duplex receptacle and I see TWO things plugged into it ... what to heck is that triple tap for anyway? Remove it. Problem solved.

Now, *IF* that is the ONLY receptacle in the garage, you have a different problem - where is the garage receptacle?

John Steinke
07-28-2007, 09:11 AM
I don't see a problem. Those adapters are listed, and it is quite possible to use them without creating a hazard.

I'm just curious what the transformer powers; I can't think of anything else you're likely to hang on the ceiling!

Michael Thomas
07-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Jerry,

Per the model code, not, it's not. Per, for example the AJH in my community, that needs to be GFCI.... and a *individual* GFCI protected receptacle outlet is required at *each box *over a kitchen counter, and some other such things....)

Matt Fellman
07-28-2007, 11:53 AM
A lot of times the adapters have a max watt rating.... the ones I've seen are around 600W. So, if they have a space heater plugged into it that would be wrong... Otherwise, as mentioned, they can be used safely.

Jerry Peck
07-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Jerry,

Per the model code, not, it's not. Per, for example the AJH in my community, that needs to be GFCI.... and a *individual* GFCI protected receptacle outlet is required at *each box *over a kitchen counter, and some other such things....)

Michael,

That's some strange wording there. Is that yours, or the code?

What that states is 'no duplex receptacle is allowed over the kitchen counter.

A GFCI breaker, or a GFCI receptacle protecting downstream receptacle outlets would fulfill that requirement for GFCI protection - as stated. Each receptacle outlet does not need to be a GFCI device.

Randy Aldering
07-28-2007, 04:28 PM
There doesn't appear to be a need for the adapter. As Jerry indicated, removing it solves the problem. I am more concerned with the breach of the fire barrier in the ceiling.

Philip Desmarais
07-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Michael Thomas: “If not, and that is (should be) a GFCI, looks to me like that the adapter/transformer combination prevents activating the GFCI's internal test circuitry.”

Apart from whether or not there is a requirement for the outlet to be GFCI protected, (which there isn’t in MD for this application), don’t forget there are GFCI breakers too.