PDA

View Full Version : Electrical panel connections

Don Horn
02-25-2011, 09:55 AM
I did an inspection yesterday to a foreclosure remodel. There are two issues with the installation of the new 200 amp panel board I would like some input on.

The feed is aluminum however no Anti-oxidant compound was used. Are there situations where not needed?
The right side main lug was bent down about 30 degrees -- I assume to make the connection easier. Can thes be bent without compromising the buss?

John Arnold
02-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Re the anti-oxidant issue, see here:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/electrical-systems-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/22574-aluminum-antioxidant-coating.html

The bent lug definitely sounds like a no-no, but a picture would be nice.

Don Horn
02-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Here is a photo

Don Horn
02-25-2011, 10:16 AM
And another, not so close.

John Arnold
02-25-2011, 10:31 AM
I would definitely flag that bent lug as damaged and/or inappropriately modified.

John Kogel
02-25-2011, 02:14 PM
"Amateur handiwork, there may be hidden defects, have a qualified electrician inspect and repair as needed"

That bend is bad news. It places the lug where it could contact the deadfront/panel cover.

A professional would have likely used anti-ox, but also would have
Stripped the jackets back on the branch circuit wiring better than that
Sealed the service conduit with grey putty
Routed the branch circuits so they are not in direct contact with the service conductors

James Duffin
02-25-2011, 03:43 PM
I would tug on the cable feeding the lug and if it was in a bind I might write it up but if it was not in a bind I would not. But that's just me...YOMV.

Don Horn
02-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Thank you all -- very helpful

George Wells
05-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I did an inspection yesterday to a foreclosure remodel. There are two issues with the installation of the new 200 amp panel board I would like some input on.
The feed is aluminum however no Anti-oxidant compound was used. Are there situations where not needed?
The right side main lug was bent down about 30 degrees -- I assume to make the connection easier. Can thes be bent without compromising the buss?

Everything about the picture screams "Amateur!". The area should be taped off with yellow CAUTION tape.

George Wells
05-10-2011, 09:48 AM
And another, not so close.

A few things