PDA

View Full Version : What is this doohickey?

Jim Klein
02-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi,
I came across this today and did not know what it was. It says "Neptune" on it, I know there is a Neptune Outdoor lighting fixture company, but all I can figure that this is then some kind of blanking plate? It was mounted about 4 feet off the ground next to a gate on the side of a house.
It's not critical but I'd like to know...
Thanks,
Jim

Nick Ostrowski
02-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Your pic is really small and won't enlarge so it's hard to even tell what it is. But it looks similar to the remote water meter reading devices I see on houses in Pennsylvania.

Rick Cantrell
02-26-2011, 05:04 PM
But it looks similar to the remote water meter reading devices I see on houses

You may have something there, there is a Neptune that manufactures water meters.

Jim Klein
02-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi,
That might be it! The actual meter is in the crawlspace accessed from inside the house via a hatch. The wiring going to this is small, kind of like sprinkler wire. The black thing is a little bigger than a business card, Neptune is on the bottom edge and located OUTSIDE the fence, right above the gas meter. Sorry for the small pic, it wouldn't take the fullsize one and I probably over-adjusted...
Thanks,
Jim

Rick Cantrell
02-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Is this it?
http://www.mcsmeters.com/utility/PDFdocuments/R450_MIU.pdf

Jim Klein
02-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi,
No, that's not it. I resized the picture again, maybe this will be clearer...
Thanks,
Jim

Corn Walker
02-27-2011, 06:12 AM
Hi,
No, that's not it. I resized the picture again, maybe this will be clearer...
Thanks,
Jim

It's a remote water meter readout transmitter.

Ted Menelly
02-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Hi,
That might be it! The actual meter is in the crawlspace accessed from inside the house via a hatch. The wiring going to this is small, kind of like sprinkler wire. The black thing is a little bigger than a business card, Neptune is on the bottom edge and located OUTSIDE the fence, right above the gas meter. Sorry for the small pic, it wouldn't take the fullsize one and I probably over-adjusted...
Thanks,
Jim

Water meter in the crawl space? Is that something you see often?

Jim Klein
02-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the ID, I appreciate it!
Water meters are in crawlspaces or basements quite often out here...
Thanks,
Jim

Ted Menelly
02-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the ID, I appreciate it!
Water meters are in crawlspaces or basements quite often out here...
Thanks,
Jim

I have seen them countless times in basements in the north east but never in a crawl.