PDA

View Full Version : Double traps, what is the implication?

Benjamin Thompson
03-02-2011, 07:51 PM
House today had a 3-bay kitchen sink. The left sink was triple trapped, the right double trapped, center and disposal were OK. I know this is wrong but couldn't come up with any good reason to explain to the client except "it isn't code". What are the possible implications? Only thing I could think is that it may clog more easily.

James Duffin
03-02-2011, 08:01 PM
You got a picture of all of them traps?

Jerry Peck
03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
The left sink was triple trapped, the right double trapped, center and disposal were OK.{/quote]

One trap fed into the next trap which fed into the next trap?

[quote]I know this is wrong but couldn't come up with any good reason to explain to the client except "it isn't code". What are the possible implications? Only thing I could think is that it may clog more easily.

Traps won't scour and self-clean as designed, leading to traps clogging up and back-up into sinks/disposer/dishwasher.

Benjamin Thompson
03-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Not a very good pic as you can't see the third trap behind the disposal on the main drain line, It's down behind the Coca-Cola bottle. So. right sink 3 traps, center sink and disposal 1 trap, left sink 2 traps.

James Duffin
03-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Here is what the NC Plumbing Code Says:

1002.1 Fixture traps. Each plumbing fixture shall be separately
trapped by a water-seal trap, except as otherwise permit- Ited by this code. The vertical distance from the fixture outlet to
the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches (610 mm) and the horizontal
distance shall not exceed 30 inches (610 mm) measured
from the centerline of the fixture outlet to the centerline of the
inlet ofthe trap. The height ofa clothes washer standpipe above
a trap shall conform to Section 802.4. A fixture shall not be
double trapped.
Exceptions:
1. This section shall not apply to fixtures with integral
traps.
2. A combination plumbing fixture or up to three similar
fixtures is permitted to be installed on one trap, provided
that one compartment is not more than 6 inches
(152 mm) deeper than the other compartment and the
waste outlets are not more than 30 inches (762 mm)
apart

Bryan Dilworth
03-24-2011, 03:00 AM
Double traps cause slow drainage. The air between the traps becomes compressed as the water drains.