PDA

View Full Version : Receptacle Spacing (Electrical)

Robert Marek
03-05-2011, 12:18 PM
I understand that receptacle spacing must be within 6' of an opening and every 12' thereafter, including on any wall greater than 24".

However, if an opening, from one room to another, provides access to a stairwell leading to the basement, and the wall space from the opening to the stairwell is 3 feet, is an electrical outlet required if it poses a safety hazard?

Note that this wall will NEVER have a fixed object, such as a table with a lamp etc.. since it will most certainly block access to the stairwell. Any other reason for plugging into an electrical outlet located on that 3' section of wall will present a trip hazard -- directly down the stairwell, (e.g., mother vacuuming while children are playing, mother gives a tug on the vacuum cleaner, cord becomes taught and the child goes tumbling down the stairs). What consideration does the "code" provide that addresses safety concerns such as this?

Thanks
HD Bob

Rick Cantrell
03-05-2011, 12:39 PM
So whats your question?

Robert Marek
03-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi Rick thanks for responding.. The question is:

..if an opening, from one room to another, provides access to a stairwell leading to the basement, and the wall space from the opening to the stairwell is 3 feet, is an electrical outlet required if it poses a safety hazard?

Rick Cantrell
03-05-2011, 03:17 PM
The way I understand it and what you describe, I will say, using todays standards, yes.
What standards were in effect when and where this House is may be different.
Also the AHJ can and often make and allow exceptions.

Robert Marek
03-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks for your input Rick,

There are instances where following the letter of the law (code), which is in place to protect, will in effect do just the opposite; I believe this to be one of those cases.

Making the right call requires a good deal of judicial intelligence on the part of the city inspector. However, from what I have experienced and heard tell, city employees (government workers) generally do not meet that criteria - they stick hard and fast to their strict and sometimes misguided interpretation of the code.

If I check with the city inspector beforehand, they may disallow it. If however, I never bring it up, they may never notice it. It's like being between a rock and a hard-place.

If anyone else has dealt with this issue before (location of a receptacle in front of a stairwell) please comment.

chris mcintyre
03-05-2011, 05:20 PM
IMO I would consider the landing of a stairwell more of a hallway than a room, a hallway less than 10' long does not require a receptacle.